Steaks...To Oil or Not To oil

In the end, I discovered that I prefer my steak surface to be dry when it hits the fire. I sometimes even salt and pepper my steaks the day before cooking, and let it sit in the fridge to draw moisture out of the surface -- a mini dry age.

I like the nice crust I get on the steak when I grill a steak prepared like that over high heat. A tasty crust on the outside, and juicy medium-rare inside.

If a guest wants their steak done more (even well done), they still get a juicy, flavorful steak.

That's my own personal preference.

CD

This is what we do too. Put the rub on and air dry in the fridge overnight. No oil.

I've rubbed 'em with zesty, or spicy Italian dressing and had great success. It is cheaper than other oils, and does a fine job. It works with all meats.

I have not given much thought to oiling my steak before the heat. depending on my mood it's salt and pepper, or montreal steak seasoning. I have not been afraid to use the slightest bit of dale's marinade. Have to be real careful though that stuff can be overpowering. I use maybe a capful or two at a time. If I use Dale's I use only pepper before the heat.

For what it's worth, I doubt you'll ever see a grill man in a steakhouse oiling steaks. season the meat, oil the grill. This is how they've done it in ever restaurant I've worked in. Although sometimes they will brush a cooked steak with melted butter before pulling it off the grill to re-moisten the outside of the steak.

For what it's worth, I doubt you'll ever see a grill man in a steakhouse oiling steaks. season the meat, oil the grill. This is how they've done it in ever restaurant I've worked in. Although sometimes they will brush a cooked steak with melted butter before pulling it off the grill to re-moisten the outside of the steak.

Doesn't mean it is the best way, just means it is the current level of common understanding.:wink:
I've never eaten a steakhouse steak that comes close to some of my learned BBQ friends steaks, maybe Neil Perry matches it but doesn't surpass it.
Guess how Neil Perry does his steaks?
:wink:

How many steak houses have you worked in?

Oiling food before grilling is not a new technique, and it's certainly valid.
It's really a matter of preference and style.

I oil the grates and keep the steaks dry, get good grill markes and then season just before they are done to your liking and taste.

Hello Brethren,

Simple question to you. When preparing steaks to put on the grill do you coat them with oil or not before coating with seasonings? And what is your prefered oil? The ever popular EVOO?

Went to a seminar on Chateaubriand recently...learned that EVOO is for finishing.. same flash point as butter...seems Canola is the choice for oil and unsalted butter for cooking ...

I coat the steaks with oil, salt, pepper, garlic, fresh herbs....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I use EVOO. I normally throw some garlic salt and cracked black pepper, rub that in, and drizzle some oil. Sometimes I reverse that process depending on how many beers, glasses of wine, and or scotches were involved in the cooking process.

I will however have to try a batch with just garlic salt and pepper and see how they turn out crust wise since I have been doing it the above mentioned way for about 20 years now.

canola definately better than evoo, but unnessesary on a steak. just does not make a differance. imo of course.

I'll bite.
Give a single rational reason why canola oil would be better than EVOO?
Perhaps googling hydrogen and carbon chains in relation to heat, and the effect of high polyphenol content in oils might get you started.
Canola has a lower smoke point and BTW, unless you are deep frying steaks and chateaubriand, it is completely and utterly irrelevant.

What am I doing.
I swore I wouldn't waste any more time double posting science on the same subject.

Up to you brothers but I recommend doing some reading on it.

I'll bite.
Give a single rational reason why canola oil would be better than EVOO?
Perhaps googling hydrogen and carbon chains in relation to heat, and the effect of high polyphenol content in oils might get you started.
Canola has a lower smoke point and BTW, unless you are deep frying steaks and chateaubriand, it is completely and utterly irrelevant.

What am I doing.
I swore I wouldn't waste any more time double posting science on the same subject.

Up to you brothers but I recommend doing some reading on it.

Canola is cheaper than EVOO.
I'm confused. In the video I posted above, there is a chart at 3:00 minutes that shows EVOO has a lower smoke point of 375F where canola's smoke point is 435F. Now I have not checked this on Wikipedia so the show could be wrong.

It really would not matter because the temp we are cooking at over the flame the oil will burn anyway.

One last thing, I worked in a kitchen 20 years ago and was being trained by a CIA trained Ex-Chef. We oiled all the steaks and then seasoned them. We also oiled the grill. IMO oiling gets the great grill marks and that crust people are looking for on a steak.

When I do steaks on the grill I keep it really simple. Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper on the meat and oil the grates with EVOO or vegetable oil just prior to putting the meat on. Once done about a 1/4" pat of butter on one side while it sits and rests (about 5 mins).

Now a steak sounds AWESOME!!!!

Back