THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
So who likes so to add smoke/wood to the flavor of a steak? I mostly do it now by adding a small chunk of Oak, and sometimes a little Mesquite.

I like to add small chunks of wood to the coals just before the food goes on. If its chicken, I just scatter the wood all over. If it is something that will flare up, I put the chunks on both sides of the cooking area.

I normally add hickory chunks when grilling with my OTG. Cooking a steak over straight sticks... even better.

I enjoy a small chunk of wood with steak!
I do find that you can add to much wood flavor to your steak so I tend to use it sparingly.
Just my preference.

I grill steak over a very hot bed of coals made up of mostly oak chunks, with a little lump to get everything started. Pecan sometimes.
One of the best neighborhood steak places I ever knew tossed chunks of green oak in with the charcoal on their grill and got fantastic results.

People always scoff when they see my wood chip bags next to my wood chunks.

In my opinion, wood chips are perfect for steaks. One or two pecan/hickory chips in the fire right after the sear can be the perfect touch, as long as you don't over-do it. Just a hint of smoke is all you need.

A chunk is way too much smoke for just a couple steaks. And even if I tamp it down to re-use the coals, I feel committed to burning that piece of wood on my next cook, whether or not that flavor makes any sense for what I'm cooking.

Chips are the way to go for anything hot and fast. Chunks are for low and slow.

Back