THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
So, a while back, Snake River Farms posted that they had a great special on their beef ribs, which were cut in a Flanken cut, and they were great, but, few of us pushed to have longer plate style ribs. Shane from SRF kindly obliged, with a special run and Brethren discount. While not cheap, I thought I saw value there. So I bought some. They were huge, beautiful cuts of meat.
ribraw2_zpssadhaglh.jpg

That is one of the two racks, and that is in a standard restaurant utility tub. Not small.
ribraw1_zps7z3dcvnt.jpg

And the marbling, this was typical of both racks. They exhibited what I characterize as typical aged Wagyu tenderness. Sorry for the white balance issues, but, the fat was a pure white. I did have to trim some silver skin, but, no big deal.

Details of the cook:
Rub 1: Landarc's Santa Maria base blend SPOG (applied 30 min before)
Rub 2: 50/50 SPOG and Dizzy Dust Salt Free (applied 2 hours in)
Cooker: Weber 26" OTG
Fuel: 40/40/20 Cowboy lump, large chunks/Kingsford Comp./Red Oak wood
Temps: 1 hr.@250°F, 3 hr.@290°F, 1.5 hr.@290°F falling to 200°F
Total cook time: 5.5 hours

kettle1_zpshaayxklw.jpg

The kettle, with foil water pan baffles, eventually these were filled with boiling water. You can see a little of the oak.

3fbbff8a-ea14-4226-8079-6ab966853591_zps66pdyong.jpg

Here is one of the racks with the first coat of rub.

kettle2_zpssbyde6xn.jpg

About 30 minutes in, heat is ramping from 250°F to 290°F +/-. All cook temperatures will be approximate, as I opted to work without thermos, other than the lid thermo which is, of course not totally accurate.

kettle3_zpswsqabway.jpg

Here are the racks, after two hours, and with the second layer of rub applied, it instantly began to melt, there was so much moisture and fat coming off the ribs at this point.

kettle4_zpsasumubnv.jpg

They appear done, they also probed tender. This was about an hour before I pulled them. Funny thing, the bones on the left rack, they may look thin, but, what actually happend is they twisted, never seen it happen in beef ribs. No matter, I am not eating the bones.

ribslice1_zpswa1qisdy.jpg

And there we are, the payoff. These were amazing, tender, slicing them was incredible.

ribslice2_zps2yd18pfl.jpg

In these shots, you can see that the fat marbling is still there, even as the fibers are nearly falling apart, the fat remains.

ribplate_zpskoibwzgg.jpg

Plated for dinner, the two racks easily fed 9 people, and could have fed a few more.

ribplate2_zpsfiydqu66.jpg

Just a tighter shot to show bark and gleaming, fatty meat.

ribplate3_zpsi2naszup.jpg

bones1_zpsbj39rzmv.jpg

The aftermath, and there is a load of meat on there still. We split the bones among three of us, and the neighbors dog got one. I suspect the dog will have the trots later today, and I don't mean it needs to go for a run :becky:

Conclusion: I could have cooked these for another hour and gotten, maybe, a better result. The end of the cook was truly confusing, the meat was probe tender at 4.5 hours, but, I just didn't feel it was done. At 5 hours, it was jiggly like jello, still...eeeehhhh...at 5.5 hours, I decided to metric everything. 189°F internal temperature, probe like a hot knife through air, jiggles like jello, and squeeze test said they were done. My gut said go another hour, but, I pulled and rested for 2 hours. It was incredible meat, and an excellent cook.

IMO, there is too much very rich meat to serve a whole bone to one person. One bone could easily serve 2 heavy eaters and probably three to four reasonable eaters at a full meal.

Agreed... When these are cooked right they're incredibly rich. Almost to the point where they become difficult to eat lol
Anyhow, those look awesome man :mrgreen:

Thank You. I love beef ribs. Those are kind of like looking inside a bank vault. Pure Money.

Photos are fantastic

Nice ribs they look good. Your picture taking is pretty good also. I was wondering way you didn't pull if they probed tender, but then read further down, good explanation. I see they still came out nice and juicy. Planning on doing some ribs for the first time this coming weekend.

I think you reached ecstacy there. Another hour it may have been super ecstacy or fark me! I over did it! They look superb. Did anyone around the table suggest they needed another hour?

I have some beef ribs on the Humphery's and I hope they come out half as good! :thumb:

Dang don't know how I missed this one :tsk:

Bob, those are out of this world good looking!

I still wanna grow up and cook like you

Wow!

Oh, man... I love the photos and the cook discussion.

Agree with LMAJ about the plating off the bone... great presentation.

Back