Splitin' wood

jav2xf.jpg

A tire comes in handy when your splitting wood by hand...

That is a great idea!:clap:

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!

Splitting is one thing, and many on here have offered valuable thoughts.

But cutting to length is another matter. Using a chop saw (aka power miter box) is an easy solution, but can be extremely dangerous. The uneven split can be very problematic as the split, upon being cut, can offer a radically different orientation to the back of the fence and offers the possibility of becoming jammed, kicking free, even drawing the hand of the operator into the blade.

If using a chopsaw, I would recommend first building and installing a wooden auxiliary fence with as little "throat space" (the opening on either side of the saw blade). as possible. That will help keep the piece being cut from being tipped and drawn into the blade and binding. In doing do, that will also help minimize the prospect of the hand grasping the wood from being drawn, with the wood, into the blade when the thing binds and pulls.

I would also highly recommend using a chop saw that offers a clamping mechanism for the piece being cut.

I once ruined a very excellent electric miterbox when a piece of firewood I was cutting shifted, bound, and was thrown into the blade. I was fortunate that my hand was not drawn in. but, the force of the wood being jammed bent the blade arbor and permanently ruined the best miter box I ever had.

These days, when I have to trim splits to length, I actually prefer build a wooden saw jack and use a chain saw. I build a fence into the jack so it holds the split from kicking back, and prefer to make a clamp with a chain or strap so I can hold the piece securely.

Yep this guy speaks the truth.

In an effort to cut some wood to length in a hurry I used my brand new mitre saw. All was going well until one log bought on the blade and bent the fence, guard and arm. I was pissed as **** about that. So I ended up with a useless mitre saw and had to rent one for the project I originally got it for.

Also I really hurt my arm but that wasn't the important bit.

I rented one several years back and for the cost of one day rental, I split about 2 cords of wood in about 4 hours with the help of my bride and a niece. I ran the splitter, and they fed it and sorta stacked it. I think it ran me less than $40 for the day.

Omar

I have a really bad back, but I really wanted to try the aimple way first. I picked up a 6 pound mual and tried to do a swing last nigh.... nooo way I am doing that.

Off to Harbor for the hydrolic splitter.

I have a really bad back, but I really wanted to try the aimple way first. I picked up a 6 pound mual and tried to do a swing last nigh.... nooo way I am doing that.

if you can get this splitter on a table it will help with the back issues.

I bought the fireplace friend that has the foot operator and I'm not thrilled with it. How do you really like yours? Have you ever seen the foot job?
:becky: I'll try to keep this PG since it's not the WP. :becky:

No I haven't seen the foot powered but the hand operated does real good. It sits on my porch and doesn't need a plug or gasoline. For personal use it's perfect I think.

No I haven't seen the foot powered but the hand operated does real good. It sits on my porch and doesn't need a plug or gasoline. For personal use it's perfect I think.

i agree. no issues with mine either.

+1 on the Fiskars Splitter. I really like the 28" handle. The tire trick on a short table is the ticket.

Good decision-- one slip or miss hit with a maul, and it's beddy bye time for a while.

Good decision-- one slip or miss hit with a maul, and it's beddy bye time for a while.

Exactly! To close the loop, I did end up getting the manual hydrolic splitter. I was able to know out an entire cart of wood fairly quickly. Not once did I even break a sweat. You guys rock!

Exactly! To close the loop, I did end up getting the manual hydrolic splitter. I was able to know out an entire cart of wood fairly quickly. Not once did I even break a sweat. You guys rock!
Awesome, and yes you can get really efficient with that splitter when you get the hang of it. Shorter pieces i use a piece of wood to lessen the distance it has to go.

I'll use both gears back and forth to get up to the split faster too.

I was going to say, if you've never swung a splitting maul before you may need someone to teach you. Hitting your shin ain't fun. And it is physically demanding.

Back