Spinning a Goat

I worked one summer in N Central Texas when I was 19. Learned many families there would buy a baby goat in late spring and keep it in the backyard for the summer to eat the grass. I’m talkin regular suburban neighborhoods, not farms or ranches. Named it, let the kids play with it, fed it, just like a family dog. Then round about mid-August folks would start scheduling a goat BBQ on Fri or Sat night, staggered so no one doubled up. You-come-to-mine, I-come-to-yours type of thing.

I found it all rather surprising, particularly for the kids, but I guess they were used to it since they grew up with the same pattern summer after summer.

What I learned is BBQ goat can be great, but IMHO you want to ensure you’re using enough rub, marinade, baste, and/or sauce before, during, and after the cook. A ribeye can be fantastic plain, without any added spice or flavour; goat, for many people, not so much.

Last edited:
If you like lamb, you'll probably like goat. I'd say it's a little more gamey & greasy than lamb.
Funny you should mention lamb, I think I've eaten lamb one time in my adult life. I made a trip to London and I was invited to a home cooked meal while I was there. The lamb was actually surprisingly good. She did a great job. But, change is very difficult for some of us old buzzards. I haven't tried it since. If goat is gamier than lamb, I dunno whether I'm gonna rush out and try it.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
spicy allegro is my favorite and works well with everything including shrimp; regular is also good - but seems saltier and doesnt have the little kick spicy does.

i dont like hickory smoked allegro b/c the liquid smoke taste is too much. the other flavors are ok....game tame is also good for gamey meats

• Thanks
Funny you should mention lamb, I think I've eaten lamb one time in my adult life. I made a trip to London and I was invited to a home cooked meal while I was there. The lamb was actually surprisingly good. She did a great job. But, change is very difficult for some of us old buzzards. I haven't tried it since. If goat is gamier than lamb, I dunno whether I'm gonna rush out and try it.

Soak in Buttermilk or yogurt to remove some of the Gamey flavour as you call it

• Thanks
Soak in Buttermilk or yogurt to remove some of the Gamey flavour as you call it

I always have found a wide variation in lamb quality, with the difference being the level of gaminess. I generally loved lamb in England but often struggle with it here in the US.

I recently had some absolutely fantastic lamb at a great restaurant here in SoCal and asked the chef why his was not gamey. He said the gamey flavours reside in the fat. He is super-aggressive in trimming the fat off his lamb and that’s why his turns out so well (according to him). Maybe the buttermilk or yogurt treatment you describe affects the fat?

I haven’t had the chance to try the trimming yet, but logically it makes sense to me.

I always have found a wide variation in lamb quality, with the difference being the level of gaminess. I generally loved lamb in England but often struggle with it here in the US.

I recently had some absolutely fantastic lamb at a great restaurant here in SoCal and asked the chef why his was not gamey. He said the gamey flavours reside in the fat. He is super-aggressive in trimming the fat off his lamb and that’s why his turns out so well (according to him). Maybe the buttermilk or yogurt treatment you describe affects the fat?

I haven’t had the chance to try the trimming yet, but logically it makes sense to me.

And if its a leg , remove the yellow colored Gland:thumb:

• Thanks
I thought I was getting a 23-30# goat, but the butcher called and said I could get one that's more like 16#, so I went for that based on what I understand, which is that the smaller/younger ones are better. The butcher (at Marconda's in the LA Farmer's market - super cool/attentive/knowledgable guy btw. I've never bought from them before but will again based on the experience so far) said the smaller ones are more sought after. I'm gonna try and snag some mesquite wood and cook it over that. I'm thinking a much smaller goat will be fine as far as amount goes since we usually have about 14 tons of food at these things.

Tony said Maribel can make some red & green salsas for the tacos :whoo:. I'll be making some corn tortillas and laying out fixins like Jeanie talked about, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. :hungry: All I gotta do now is not fark it up! :shocked: Or at least figure out a way to make it look like I didn't in case I do. :spy:

Now - does tha age of the critter affect what finish temp I'd be shooting for? I know part of the deal with bigger animals is you gotta take a strong flavor into account, but is there a difference in prepping/cooking for the younger/smaller ones?

And - Mexicans and Texans (and anybody else, actually) - Cabrito - what can you tell me about that?

I'd still cook it to the 145° temp but one that size will cook faster so less time to get the right temp.

Good choice on the smaller one, they sell at a premium around here.

• Thanks
And - Mexicans and Texans (and anybody else, actually) - Cabrito - what can you tell me about that?

Have only had it three or four times. It was in enchiladas, burritos or in guisado (stew). It was always very tender and never gamey.

• Thanks
Back