Spinning a Goat

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
So I just ordered a goat that I'll be cooking on a rotissirie for Bigmista's sendoff Bash. For those who don't know yet, Bigmista is moving up to Oregon so we wanna get one more Bash with Neil as a local - he's played a major part in our Bashes, charity cooks, etc. He's a favorite around here and we're all gonna miss him. Bash info here, btw. Anyone in the area (or out of the area!) feel free to come join us!

Anyway - I'll be spinning a 25-30# goat on a whole animal rotissirie. I'm thinking Chris Lily's BBQ goat recipe in the Big Bob Gibson book (my go-to book, or I guess now my goat-to book...) as what I might be be doing. I think I'll be making some toritllas and probably salsas so we can taco it up.

What I'm looking for here is any info on cooking goat any style. I've spun lamb and pigs, but I've never done goat before - so, who's got the tips on goat? Let's hear 'em!

I like goat on the done side as opposed to the rare side as in lamb.
What ever you do, I know it's going to be killer Greg! Looking forward to your cook pics!

Forgot to mention.. I like to use Allegro either as a marinade or injection. Also kicked up beef stock goes well with goat. Use your favorite dry rub. Heat some onions, peppers and garlic in a cast iron pot or skillet on the fire, heat tortillas, and make it self serve. Hot corn tortilla, meat, pepper/onion/garlic, pico, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. I like to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Never spun a goat. Have smoked a leg before. Seasoned and smoked low & slow for about 7 hours.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
So, I've never done a whole goat but have smoked plenty of goat already pieces up. Trim off as much silver skin as possible. Inject with 50/50 AJ & ACV. Next is SPOG and use as much as you want. I will go to an IT of 140-150. Pull wrap it in foil and rest for about an hour. I've also have gone to IT of 140 wrap in foil with some AJ and some sliced jalapenos, habaneros, onions, and garlic cloves and butter. Take it to 170 and pull and rest. Obviously this will not be firm like it would be at 140-150. Good luck. Sounds like fun.

I think I can say with some authenticity I have never eaten goat before. I have had to eat crow on occasion, but I've never been anywhere goats were on the menu. Anybody have a quick tutorial on what goat tastes like? (I know, its like describing the color blue)

• Thanks
I like goat on the done side as opposed to the rare side as in lamb.
What ever you do, I know it's going to be killer Greg! Looking forward to your cook pics!

Forgot to mention.. I like to use Allegro either as a marinade or injection. Also kicked up beef stock goes well with goat. Use your favorite dry rub. Heat some onions, peppers and garlic in a cast iron pot or skillet on the fire, heat tortillas, and make it self serve. Hot corn tortilla, meat, pepper/onion/garlic, pico, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. I like to keep it simple.

Thanks Jeanie - exactly what I'm looking for - you rock!

Allegro - that's a new one on me - I checked out their site and it looks like good stuff. I think I gotta snag some of that - looks like the original would be the way to go?

Your approach is pretty much what I was thinking - great minds think alike...well, one great mind (yours) and one mind with one great brain cell (that'd be me :wacko:)

For rub, I'm thinking SirPorkaLot's Q-salt - I've been using that stuff on just about everything lately - so good!

I'm glad you mentioned pico - I've been wondering which way to go on salsa. Pico sounds like the ticket. :cool: Might do a red and a green as well, depending on how motivated I am.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
I absolutely love goat. My wife on the other hand, not a big fan. As far as taste goes, have you ever eaten the color blue? Well, they taste exactly the same. :laugh:
Seriously, some may describe it as being a stringy, greasy meat with a gamey taste. I like goat better than lamb.

So, I've never done a whole goat but have smoked plenty of goat already pieces up. Trim off as much silver skin as possible. Inject with 50/50 AJ & ACV. Next is SPOG and use as much as you want. I will go to an IT of 140-150. Pull wrap it in foil and rest for about an hour. I've also have gone to IT of 140 wrap in foil with some AJ and some sliced jalapenos, habaneros, onions, and garlic cloves and butter. Take it to 170 and pull and rest. Obviously this will not be firm like it would be at 140-150. Good luck. Sounds like fun.

It will be fun! We're only a couple states away - come on by!

I think I'll be going for the higher temps. Seems like higher finish temps are the way to go for whole lamb and goat on a rotis as opposed to pieces on a grill/smoker, but then you go a little lower for pig or else it falls off the spit and into the fire. :doh:

I absolutely love goat. My wife on the other hand, not a big fan. As far as taste goes, have you ever eaten the color blue? Well, they taste exactly the same. :laugh:
Seriously, some may describe it as being a stringy, greasy meat with a gamey taste. I like goat better than lamb.

I guess that description isn't the best. But it is damn good meat.

• Thanks
Thanks Jeanie - exactly what I'm looking for - you rock!

Allegro - that's a new one on me - I checked out their site and it looks like good stuff. I think I gotta snag some of that - looks like the original would be the way to go?

Your approach is pretty much what I was thinking - great minds think alike...well, one great mind (yours) and one mind with one great brain cell (that'd be me :wacko:)

For rub, I'm thinking SirPorkaLot's Q-salt - I've been using that stuff on just about everything lately - so good!

I'm glad you mentioned pico - I've been wondering which way to go on salsa. Pico sounds like the ticket. :cool: Might do a red and a green as well, depending on how motivated I am.

Thanks y'all!

I like the original Allegro. The other flavors are good... but I would use them on smaller cuts of meat. You don't want the whole goat tasting like lime or chipotle, etc.. (imo)

The Allegro already has salt, so I'd be careful adding more. Maybe give the jug a pinky finger taste test and see if you want to use any more salt in your rub.
Just a suggestion. lol I use the pinky finger test on everything! lol

You already know how to cook fantastic pigs and lambs....this won't be much different. You're one heck of a talented cook Greg. I know it's going to be killer! :cool:

^^^Thanks for the guidance and the kind words, Jeanie! Allegro is on the way! :hungry:

Have you tried it on coyote? :twisted:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I'll send a coyote to you....you can let me know! :mrgreen:

Thanks Greg and good luck! Wish I could make it to your bash. :thumb:

I think I can say with some authenticity I have never eaten goat before. I have had to eat crow on occasion, but I've never been anywhere goats were on the menu. Anybody have a quick tutorial on what goat tastes like? (I know, its like describing the color blue)

If you like lamb, you'll probably like goat. I'd say it's a little more gamey & greasy than lamb.

Gonna pack my work gloves since I have experience in "pit assembly" and my Goatsnake t-shirt (really cool metal band Marty (campdude) introduced me to a couple of years ago).

• Thanks
If you like lamb, you'll probably like goat. I'd say it's a little more gamey & greasy than lamb.

depends on the age in my humble.
Young goat(down here almost needs some greasing)
Anyhow, I do little but, Salt, Pepper, Olive oil, and lemon.
Charcoal is awesome:thumb:

We do a goat in the fall. Always use a young one and put bacon grease and seasonings on it before cooking. 145° is my preferred temp for taking it off the spit. The carryover will bring it up a few degrees. If you are getting an older one then low and slow but still in the medium cooked stage is best.

Good luck!

Back