THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tomrip

Knows what WELOCME spells.
I am sure this is the wrong area, but here it goes. I have a eataurant, and I was wondering if you guys prefer st louis or spare ribs. I am trying to cut down on cost, and the st louis cuts are 2.79 a pound. The spare ribs are 1.68 a pound. My question is is the other weight more waste then good?

If done right, I am more than happy with either, but as was already said, you can save money buying the spares, cutting them down yourself, and then selling the rib tips as a separate item.

KC

If done right, I am more than happy with either, but as was already said, you can save money buying the spares, cutting them down yourself, and then selling the rib tips as a separate item.

KC

This ^^^^^^. Not sure about other places, but rib tips are a pretty big seller here. To the point that you can order tips alone from the local purveyors if you want.

This ^^^^^^. Not sure about other places, but rib tips are a pretty big seller here. To the point that you can order tips alone from the local purveyors if you want.
Yeah, I've been seeing rib tips a lot lately in restaurants, we've been doing that at home for years. We usually trim the slab for St. Louis and put the tips on about an hour earlier then the St. Louis cut, that way they're all done pretty much about the same time. We used to cook the whole slab but in order to get it all done the ribs themselves usually overcook.

By no means am I a restaurant owner but I normally cook the spares whole then trim them. I find the meat that I use for the rib tips are more moist doing them that way.

Agree. Buy spares, trim to St. Louis & sell the tips. Save by buying less expensive cut & profit from the trimmings.

Just to drive it home I agree with the above. The rib tip can become another item either entree or appetizer or both. The use of them for sausage just opens another avenue.

When I buy ribs for home I look for full spares. I trim them to st. Louis and love the tips for leftover or save tips from several racks for a rib tip feast.

If it was me I'd go with the spares to keep the cost down and trim to St Louis then add a new menu item "Rib tips" $$

Back