Southern Q Limo Jr arrived today

Wow, great looking pit! I took a serious look at these when I was doing my initial research. They are fine units! I can't wait to see the future cooks! Do you think you will mix wood chunks in the chute, or just place some below the grate in the bottom? I have heard good things about both methods.

My IVC just arrived Wednesday, and I got it to the patio and put the cover on it before the rain hit. I am dying to get the burn in done this weekend and get to cooking! I am hoping to get some pics posted here at the site as I dig into it.

Enjoy the new toy, and keep sharing the info!

Congrats on the new cooker...those Cascade's look very nice! So far I've just done ribs and pork butt. I just added chunks to the ash pan both times. I'm going to cook this weekend and mix some chunks in the chute as well. I'll most likely do this moving forward.

Congrats on the new cooker...those Cascade's look very nice! So far I've just done ribs and pork butt. I just added chunks to the ash pan both times. I'm going to cook this weekend and mix some chunks in the chute as well. I'll most likely do this moving forward.

Can't wait to hear back on how it goes this weekend, and what you think about the alternate method. Will you be using lump or briquettes? I've read that the briquettes tend to work a little better for that method and help to avoid any lodging.

Either way, good luck on the upcoming cooks, and make sure to upload some pron...:biggrin1:

Can't wait to hear back on how it goes this weekend, and what you think about the alternate method. Will you be using lump or briquettes? I've read that the briquettes tend to work a little better for that method and help to avoid any lodging.

Either way, good luck on the upcoming cooks, and make sure to upload some pron...:biggrin1:

Scott recommended briquettes so that’s what I’m sticking with for now. Either B&B or RO All Natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8836541da086890828a779150d1f0168.jpg

FireBoard with magnetic case looks clean there. The D rings on the side make for nice wire/probe management.

I'm looking at these, as it is getting harder for me in the city to source good wood for my Sniper without paying a fortune. Haven't decided on the Limo or the Limo Jr. What do you think the capacity on this one is? Also, for everyone else that has one, my wife really wants her garage space back, does this automotive paint hold up outside?

I've become interested in gravity feeds on the whole. I found a Masterbuilt 560 at WalMart for $250 and thought I did not have much to lose. Its exceeded my expectation.

So are these quality GF's more for the comp cooks ? Or are they practical backyard smokers ? It seems they're all made in Georgia , what's that about ?

I'm looking at these, as it is getting harder for me in the city to source good wood for my Sniper without paying a fortune. Haven't decided on the Limo or the Limo Jr. What do you think the capacity on this one is? Also, for everyone else that has one, my wife really wants her garage space back, does this automotive paint hold up outside?

Capacity is plenty for my needs. I just cook for neighbors, friends, and family. No plans to do any competing. Mine will stay outside with a cover on it. I can see the ocean from my backyard, so salt is definitely a concern, but it will be covered when not in use and I don’t foresee any issue.

I've become interested in gravity feeds on the whole. I found a Masterbuilt 560 at WalMart for $250 and thought I did not have much to lose. Its exceeded my expectation.

So are these quality GF's more for the comp cooks ? Or are they practical backyard smokers ? It seems they're all made in Georgia , what's that about ?

Probably overkill for the backyard, but it has a small footprint. I really didn’t “need” this but I’ve always wanted to experiment with a quality GF. No regrets so far. No clue as to why most are made in GA.

Probably overkill for the backyard, but it has a small footprint. I really didn’t “need” this but I’ve always wanted to experiment with a quality GF. No regrets so far. No clue as to why most are made in GA.

What is your guess on amount of butts it can hold?

What is your guess on amount of butts it can hold?

With the standard 3 rack setup you can get 9 butts easily and 12 fairly tight. There is enough room in the cabinet to have more slides put in and if you go to 4 slides you still have over 5 inches between the racks so that would expand it to 12 easy 16 tightly placed. This is the limo Jr.

Compared to your MB (I have never used a MB, so take that with a grain of salt), these high end gravity feeds are all a little less versatile as they are not made for high temp grilling. They are nicely insulated though so most will use less charcoal. They are probably overkill for the backyard cooker, but they should all last a lifetime if you care for them. I compare them directly with an IVC.

As far as being made in Georgia, that is where the originator started...Stumps. Some are made elsewhere like the Humphreys and TK. But like Texas with offset pits, Georgia became the hotbed for Gravity Feeds.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with the clean smoke from the MB 560. I got my first WSM in 2002. I expected smoke from the 560 to be like the first hour of smoke on a WSM.

Do you think GF's on the whole, make cleaner smoke ? Say, cleaner than an IVC or other charcoal/chunk smokers ?

Once, I heard Stump on BBQ Pitmasters say his GF's made clean smoke because " of the super heated air " . When I heard that, I thought " yeah right " , but maybe there's something to it. There's a lot of heat in the hopper/firebox on this 560.

I'm not interested in a grill, I do my grilling on a Kettle. But I'd like a quality " set and forget " smoker that uses charcoal/chunk. I love my stick burner, but its not always practical.

8836541da086890828a779150d1f0168.jpg

FireBoard with magnetic case looks clean there. The D rings on the side make for nice wire/probe management.

How and where do the probes enter the cook chamber? Congratulations on the beautiful new smoker!

Did he include a cap for the port for when it's not in use? How did you raise it to get the casters on?

No cap included. But my BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan and adapter did come with a silicone kill plug.

Well the caster install was interesting. I had 3 friends help me tilt it all the way down on its back. We made an elevated area with towels and padding for it to rest on while we installed. Pretty much muscled it back up.

What is the charcoal capacity? Comparing a few brands like Stumps, Assassin, Deep South and Southern Q. The Limo Jr. has the best price. I just can't find info on its charcoal capacity to compare with the others.

@Chester - How is your gasket for the charcoal chute looking? Mine has gotten really hard and is sticking to the top of the chute. Not sure how to "revive" it.

Back