THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As far as briskets go, I had pretty good success putting a cool smoke on it first for a couple of hours and then using a bath temp at 147F for 48 plus hours. The tip I followed regarding the 147F temp was that it was kind of the sweet spot for this type of cook. 145F is needed to render the fat somewhat, and above 150 tends to dry the meat out. The extended cooking time will tenderize the meat and/or connective tissue so you don't have to worry about hitting the high temps to accomplish this. Now, full disclosure, I am going to be cooking an SRF Black Wagyu brisket tonight. I will not be using my Anova but instead will be cooking it on my large BGE. Actions speak louder than words, so I guess you can interpret this to mean that I still prefer a more traditional approach when it comes to a brisket. I did the sous vide method when I was on a tight schedule and it did work out fairly well for this purpose. One final tip: trim, trim, trim if you are going the sous vide method. You don't want a bunch of extra fat on the protein.

Edit: My memory is coming back a little more. It was also just the flat when I did my sous vide brisket cook. It was for Super Bowl 49. I think if I had another flat-only brisket I would be tempted to do it sous vide style. The entire meat ends up very tender.

Last edited:
I bought the Wifi verson Anova. Then The Anova One (the original with no Bluetooth) went on sale so I bought two as Christmas gifts. I played with both Anova One and the new Anova Wifi. I liked the original Anova One much better which was a more powerful unit at 1100W and $100 cheaper. Returned the Anova wifi and kept one of the Anova Ones. Plus when I purchased the Wifi version the Android app to control it wasn't even available yet I found out after the fact.

Regardless, both are great units and work as advertised with the Anova One being a more powerful unit at 1100W peak which brings your water up to temp faster. BTW the BT and Wifi versions are 800W but not a deal breaker at all.

PS Just noticed your discussion on the previous page.

Yes. This is what I was kind of thinking, too. I like my original Anova's additional power. Much more important to me than a wi-fi option. (I don't own both, however.)

Back