THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bathmatt

Knows what a fatty is.
not sure if the link will work, but amazon daily deal, 139$ for
Anova Culinary Bluetooth Precision Cooker, Black

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_0842_a6aa6242?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2338600842&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F50D9F0Q3BDTWANFMP2"]Amazon.com: Anova Culinary Bluetooth Precision Cooker, Black: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31qzlpLHQcL.@@AMEPARAM@@31qzlpLHQcL[/ame]

Thanks for the link!
I've been on the fence about getting one. :-D

For fish, I love it, I've done (and will do again) a brisket with it, I go to the point of papering and use this for about 24 hours at 155-160 and comes out tender. Bark is a mess so you need sear it to finish. But if I'm doing a brisket and won't be around to get to probe tender this is a safe way to proceed.

I get a full side of grass fed beef which can dry out fast on steaks so I use it for that as well.

So, get your a$$ off that fence :loco:

I saw a deal thread on that and it mentioned the chef steps SV joule coming out. I ended up preordering that one due to it's small size and can heat more water. Not I can do veggies and meat at the same time if needed.

Is this Bluetooth one good? I know there's been a few models out. not sure which one (or if its all) that is desirable

Is this Bluetooth one good? I know there's been a few models out. not sure which one (or if its all) that is desirable

I know you've already made your purchase, and I'm sure you'll be very happy, but for the possible benefit of others, the one thing you may wish to look for when deciding on a model is the maximum volume of water recommended. For most of us this isn't a big factor, but if you do want the ability to do larger cooks then you may wish to factor this into your decision.

I know you've already made your purchase, and I'm sure you'll be very happy, but for the possible benefit of others, the one thing you may wish to look for when deciding on a model is the maximum volume of water recommended. For most of us this isn't a big factor, but if you do want the ability to do larger cooks then you may wish to factor this into your decision.

I thought about that. Reviews are pretty solid on it. Ive thought "what if its too weak".... at that price couldn't a guy buy a second one and run 2 in a bigger cooler?

I've used this for modest sized things without any problem. Can't tell how much the heater is on so have no idea on how close I'm to the limit. But a dedicated cooler with a hole in it should keep you plenty warm. I've used it in a plastic tub holding 2 gals.

i regret so far the purchase of the wifi version. I can get the blue tooth to work but terrible instructions on making the wifi work. this is the 200 dollar one.

Remember when they guy named "AMIR" made
Stokerlog for the stoker?

I was hoping someone would make a program like that.

Anyone that can hlep let me know... remember ... I have the wifi version.

I thought about that. Reviews are pretty solid on it. Ive thought "what if its too weak".... at that price couldn't a guy buy a second one and run 2 in a bigger cooler?

You probably could do that. Actually, I would like to have a second one just to make it a little easier in cooking steaks to different temps. Currently, I'll cook my wife's first and then pull it and let the bath cool off (adding a cup of ice speeds this up), throw my steak in there and then add my wife's back in towards the end to warm it back up again. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had a second one on hand--but I get by just fine with the one.

Anyway, I have the non-wifi version and I believe it is rated at a little higher capacity. Then there are other models/brands that would take it to the next level, too, as far as capacity goes. You may never have the need for a higher capacity one. I just see a lot of cooks on here where folks are preparing for what to me are fairly large gatherings--that's all.

i regret so far the purchase of the wifi version. I can get the blue tooth to work but terrible instructions on making the wifi work. this is the 200 dollar one.

Remember when they guy named "AMIR" made
Stokerlog for the stoker?

I was hoping someone would make a program like that.

Anyone that can hlep let me know... remember ... I have the wifi version.

I have the wifi one as well and was able to get it to work but you need to make sure you have the "Anova WiFi" app installed vs the "Anova Culinary" app installed. Make sure there is a decent wifi signal wherever your unit will run and plug it in (if your phone is getting decent wifi, so should the Anova unit).

With app installed and bluetooth enabled on your phone, plug unit in and open up the Anova wifi app. It should start looking for the unit to connect to. Once connected over bluetooth it will start the one-time setup process for wifi. This includes selecting the wifi network and entering password (if there is a password).

I was at my son's practice last night about 10 miles away from the house checking and changing temp's on a pork chop cook. kinda cool but some may think of it as a novelty.

I was at my son's practice last night about 10 miles away from the house checking and changing temp's on a pork chop cook. kinda cool but some may think of it as a novelty.

Yeah, I have the original Anova without any of the bluetooth/wifi bells and whistles. I can't think of a situation where I would need to change or otherwise monitor the temperature of my sousvide waterbath.

I've done (and will do again) a brisket with it, I go to the point of papering and use this for about 24 hours at 155-160 and comes out tender. Bark is a mess so you need sear it to finish.

If you do a hot and fast method you can get a good bark with the flat reaching 175 IT, then do 160F SV for 20 ish hours, then finish off in your home oven set to 250F for another hour to "set" the bark. I usually add a bit of a sugar rub during the final hour in the oven. Gives the bark a nice glaze finish.

I saw a deal thread on that and it mentioned the chef steps SV joule coming out. I ended up preordering that one due to it's small size and can heat more water. Not I can do veggies and meat at the same time if needed.

Thanks for this info. I've done a good deal of reading on their website and haven't seen the amount of water it's supposed to be good for heating--do you know? Thanks

Thanks for this info. I've done a good deal of reading on their website and haven't seen the amount of water it's supposed to be good for heating--do you know? Thanks

I have the Anova and it keeps a 18x12x9 food storage container at a steady 160F with no spikes or drops in temp.

Heres a link to the food container i use.

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/43427

I bought the Wifi verson Anova. Then The Anova One (the original with no Bluetooth) went on sale so I bought two as Christmas gifts. I played with both Anova One and the new Anova Wifi. I liked the original Anova One much better which was a more powerful unit at 1100W and $100 cheaper. Returned the Anova wifi and kept one of the Anova Ones. Plus when I purchased the Wifi version the Android app to control it wasn't even available yet I found out after the fact.

Regardless, both are great units and work as advertised with the Anova One being a more powerful unit at 1100W peak which brings your water up to temp faster. BTW the BT and Wifi versions are 800W but not a deal breaker at all.

PS Just noticed your discussion on the previous page.

Last edited:
Back