Sous Vide Hold Beef Ribs ?

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
A thought on sous vide hold .... seems usually done for holding a brisket but is it worthwhile or is there any advantage to use this method for short ribs or beef ribs ? Has anyone done this ? I have read about SV the beef ribs for quite a long time (30+hrs) then finishing them off on a grill. But smoking until tender then sv-ing ? Thoughts ? Experiences ?

My guess is that you'd have the same benefit for beef ribs that you'd have for brisket with that method. I always rest my briskets and beef ribs, though I haven't tried the SV method yet since I have a food warmer.

I tried the sous vide rest on a rack of dino ribs a couple months ago. It worked, but I didn't like it as much as doing it on a brisket, mainly because of the bark. It really softens the bark, which is fine on a brisket, because each slice the bark is just the outer ring, but on Beef ribs you have a lot more surface area with bark (obviously) on each serving, and I prefer the bark without the SV rest. Plus they cook a lot faster than a brisket, so i don't really see the need for an overnight rest. Cook'em let them rest for a bit, and get to eating them.

This may have been a fluke, but I also had problems vac sealing the dino ribs for the sous vide. It did not seem to work well with the big bones and while it sealed, it still had air pockets.

When we started hearing more and more about hot holding meats like brisket or butts, I experimented with a tabletop roaster oven and really like the results. Below is a butt that was smoked for 6 hours, then hot held for 12 or 13 hours.
I do like using my SV for reheating my barbecued meats.

Po2bbVp.jpg

8oRtWNf.jpg

Sealing with the bones can be a problem, and even a small hole could let water from the bath into the bag and dilute the flavor a lot.

I have found wrapping the exposed bones in the butcher paper that was used to wrap can decrease the risk of holes a bit, but that is only for holding leftovers once fully cooled, which makes sealing easier.

I would probably remove the bones first just to be safe.

Sealing with the bones can be a problem, and even a small hole could let water from the bath into the bag and dilute the flavor a lot.

I have found wrapping the exposed bones in the butcher paper that was used to wrap can decrease the risk of holes a bit, but that is only for holding leftovers once fully cooled, which makes sealing easier.

I would probably remove the bones first just to be safe.

For things like a rack of lamb, I'll make a bone shield with a strip of vacuum seal bag material. Some processors do a similar thing before sealing meats in cryovac bags.

Back