THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
What to do with the discard when the sourdough starter needs feeding? Biscuits fit the bill!

After a bunch of folds (I lost count but I think it was eight), they're ready for the oven. I've been cutting square biscuits with the bench scraper lately, no sense washing a biscuit cutter. It also prevents needing to reshape the scraps -

4qVRjc0.jpg

After 25 - 30 minutes they're done -

OjG88wy.jpg

My wife wasn't ready for breakfast so no need to fire up the Blackstone, the Lodge CI skillet will do -

xsnRabC.jpg

Nothing like a hearty breakfast with a good cup o' Joe -

fnkKhtC.jpg

fszgX9g.jpg

Thanks for checking in on this morning's sourdough biscuits and breakfast!

Regards,
-lunchman

Don, would you mind posting your recipe? I always feed my starter before I use but I can see where the discard may be better. Thanks for the post.

Don, would you mind posting your recipe? I always feed my starter before I use but I can see where the discard may be better. Thanks for the post.

No problem. From kitchn.com:

https://www.thekitchn.com/sourdough-biscuit-recipe-23020482#post-recipe-221060001

Reposting the ingredients for anyone who prefers the weights in metric

96g of AP Flour (3/4 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
227g Sourdough Discard (1 cup)

Pretty simple to put together. A somewhat shaggy dough but it comes together quickly. I grate the butter on a box grater like the recipe recommends. Whether you prefer round or square biscuits is up to you. They taste the same to me! :becky:

-Dom

Square biscuits are a sign of intelligence.No scraps to be rekneaded and cut again,making them tougher from overworking the dough.You,Sir,are a Master! Thanks for sharing.

Your wife must have been having some kind of dream to miss out on a breakfast like that. Well done!

Last night she mentioned that she's looking forward to breakfast this morning. :-D I've got a bunch of breakfast sausages that need to be griddled and she hadn't decided whether she'd like eggs or French toast. It's so tough to be her. :laugh:

Either way, it's a good morning for the Blackstone.

Less waste, less work and less clean up works for me. Killer breakfast. That is one thing I miss going to a restaurant for but, they have to offer hashbrowns

Last night she mentioned that she's looking forward to breakfast this morning. :-D I've got a bunch of breakfast sausages that need to be griddled and she hadn't decided whether she'd like eggs or French toast. It's so tough to be her. :laugh:

Either way, it's a good morning for the Blackstone.

Hmmmm, now you have me wondering what French toast would be like if made from sourdough biscuits. I know it’s good made with sourdough bread so I imagine it would have to be good!

The original breakfast would have been good enough for me, but now I can’t help but wonder… :shocked:

Those sound delicious! That is something I still haven't made. I do have a discard strawberry pecan scone that I really like.

Back