THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
What apparently originated in Hermosillo Mexico shortly after WW2 eventually made its way north of the border. In Tucson there is a famous restaurant called El Gueo Calelo. Actually there are many of them and they’ve been featured on the Man vs. Food TV show. They have made the Sonoran style hot dog famous on this side of the border. The guy who owns them started it all with a hot dog cart on the corner and you can still get them from carts all over the South West and Mexico.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXaXy4aeJt4"]Man v. Food - Sonoran Dog in Tucson - YouTube[/ame]
Anyway, I’ve been wanting to try them and decided the Dog Days of Summer Throwdown was a good excuse to do so. So I got my ingredient together of simple hot dogs and bacon just like a cart would have

and some Bodillo rolls.

Wrapped the dogs.

I lite up a 1/2 chimney of lump and got my Weber Jumbo Joe going.

Put on the dogs.

Almost done.

And their done.

Now I build the Sonoran Dog. I steamed the Bodillo rolls and cut them open trying not to cut the end all the way.

Spread in some Mayo and place a 1/2 a Hatch Chile.

Now the bacon wrapped dog.

Some Pinto beans

And some Pico de Gallo.

Here they are plated with some Mexican Creama and a Chelada to drink.

Here’s the Money Shot below.

Muy Delicioso! :becky:

Thanks for looking.

Almost midnight and I had to see this now I'm hungry and got the crave for a couple. They look amazing, Nice execution!:-D:thumb:

I have eaten many bacon wrapped hot dogs in Mexico in my youth. They were the obligatory after bar last call. We would loiter around a street cart for about an hour or two stuffing our face with dogs. To me that was the best part of the night. Yours look soooo much safer and tastier than some that I have "enjoyed". I do miss the Sonoran style of Mexican food south of AZ, but the Mex food here does not suck either.

They look awesome.
I have never had a steamed roll.
does it warm but not dry out the roll?
Thank you Titch. I used my rice cooker / steamer. Yes the idea is it warms and softens the roll / bun so that it's more pliable. Now the ingredients can be stuffed in without tearing the roll / bun.

Back