THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
I spent the week around the 4th with my family, so of course I spent a lot of it cooking.

First up was a couple of bone-in rib-eyes. I cooked them using indirect heat on the Weber kettle, reverse sear style. I like to follow APL's advice, and move the steaks around a lot, back and forth between the hot and cool zones. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out:

IMG_20180701_181636.jpg

For the 4th, it was a veritable feast. This year's menu included pork butt, baby backs, a few tri-tips, and some sausages.

Initially, I set up one kettle with indirect heat, and another using the snake method. Here they are pre-lit:

IMG_20180704_075722.jpg

IMG_20180704_092741.jpg

In the past, I've had good luck with both of these set-ups, but this time I just couldn't get the snake hot enough. It might have been the wind -- I'm not sure. Anyway, a couple hours into the cook I just gave up and shoved all the coals over to one side.

The butt turned out great - don't let the near-black bark fool you:

IMG958249.jpg

The tri-tips were, frankly, a little over-done. I kind of let those get away from me.

IMG_20180704_161046.jpg

There were definitely some left-overs. I hate to see good tri-tip go to waste, so I think it's headed for some chili in the near future...

The sausages were... well, they're sausages. Not exactly rocket science, but darn tasty:

IMG958250.jpg

The ribs were definitely the star of the show. I did three racks with a traditional BBQ rub and sauce, and two racks with an Asian-inspired, hoisin-based sauce. People loved 'em:

IMG_20180704_161057.jpg

For dessert, we had my family's traditional 4th of July "Nanny Cake," named for my great-grand-mother (RIP, Nan):

IMG958254 (1).jpg

Thanks for looking, and happy belated 4th to the Brethren!

Back