THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeanie that is awesome! Particularly that you can get wild salmon in the friggin' middle of the United States. Very cool. I love the process and the result. Looks really tasty!

Looks great! Is that pressure canner not amazing? I could not live without it. I went ahead and sold out though, I started getting the Tattler reusable canning lids. I love those damn things.

Um...she said salmon six times, so...:confused:

There's more than one type of salmon ;) king, sockeye, coho, etc.

I've never seen the process for "cold smoking", but I knew that fish was cured more than actually cooked in the smoking process, that's pretty awesome. How do you keep the temp so low? Do you have to wait for the ambient temperature outside to be colder than 75F, or is that smokehouse cooled somehow?

Jeanie,

What is this and how did you make this?

019_zpsbf64ef7c.jpg

Looks YUMMY!!

Thanks.

TIM

Well I'm late to the party, but I gotta say sitting here this morning eating bacon from your recipe and looking at your beautiful canned salmon post is a fantastic start to the day!

Thanks Jeff and Tony! :)
Marty it is amazing what my grocery store can get for me. As much as I love seafood, I wish I lived closer to an ocean though. :-D
Jazzy I love my pressure canner too. I'll have to give those tattler lids a try. Thanks!
Thank you Mike! Sounds like you've been keeping really busy!! Sure will have good eats this winter. :cool: :-D

Westy thanks!! Shoot me your addy. :-D

Neil you're a sweet friend... Thanks! :hug:

There's more than one type of salmon ;) king, sockeye, coho, etc.

I've never seen the process for "cold smoking", but I knew that fish was cured more than actually cooked in the smoking process, that's pretty awesome. How do you keep the temp so low? Do you have to wait for the ambient temperature outside to be colder than 75F, or is that smokehouse cooled somehow?
Thanks sslak! Yes I wait until the outside air temperature is cool. For this smoke I cured overnight and smoked in the morning while it was cool. Sometimes I smoke at night if needed. I can't always wait until fall and winter to cold smoke things. lol :-D You can add a tray of ice to cool the smoke down if needed but most of the time I just wait.

KC thank you!! :-D

Jeanie,

What is this and how did you make this?

019_zpsbf64ef7c.jpg

Looks YUMMY!!

Thanks.

TIM

Tim thank you! I made a cream cheese mixture seasoned with garlic and onion powder, minced onion, cayenne and a squeeze of lemon juice. Place a small amount on each square of puff pastry, topped with the salmon. On some I added the tip of an asparagus sprig. I baked the flat ones in muffin cups and just folded the ends over the asparagus ones and baked them on a baking sheet. They baked at 400F for 15 minutes.
I did add honey mustard to some but liked the cream cheese ones the best.
I was just experimenting. :-D

Wow! Great looking salmon Jeanie.

Al it's good to see you! Thanks!

Chris thanks! Hope you give it a try. It's nice to have on hand during the winter. :)

Greg thank you!! Hope you have a great time this weekend. (I know you will) :-D

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
This is the second time in five minutes thT I almost took a bite of my phone looking at pics here! Smoked salmon is one of my favorite foods and this looks awesome!

Thanks Jeanie,

Those are definitely on my "to do" list. 8)

I see them as almost a blank canvas to build on.
I bet a slight dusting of PlowBoy's Fin and Feather would add a nice touch of citrus flavor.
Time will tell.

TIM

Back