THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BKING!

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Brent
So I’m trying to formulate some rub ideas (haven’t tested these yet) that I’ll try making soon. One change off the bat I’m thinking about making is using turbinado sugar instead. If you have any ideas or criticism before I try some of these let me know!

All purpose seasoning
1 tbs salt
1 tbs paprika
1/2 tbs black pepper
1/2 tbs onion powder
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 tbs dried crushed parsley

Chicken rub
1 tbs paprika
1/2 tbs salt
1/2 tbs onion powder
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 tbs granulated sugar
1/2 tbs celery seed
1/2 tbs ground mustard
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Brisket rub
1 tbs salt
1 tbs black pepper
1/2 tbs paprika
1/2 tbs onion powder
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 tbs granulated sugar
1/2 tbs dried crushed parsley
1/2 tbs ground mustard
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Pork rub
2 tbs paprika
1 tbs salt
1 tbs dark brown sugar
1 tbs granulated sugar
1/2 tbs onion powder
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 tbs ground mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Or if you have any ideas for one rub to rule them all :-D
I was thinking of having a base rub then add more sugar to it if doing pork.

Something else I was thinking was having some salt free seasoning blends. Say if I wanted to do pork ribs I could do 1 layer of salt, followed by one layer of a savory blend, followed by one layer of a sugary blend.

Another example is chicken: salt layer, then perhaps a Salt free Cajun blend on top of it.

That way I don’t have to have 10 different mixes for 10 different things. I can mix and match blends to create different layers and combinations of flavor.
So I could have a savory blend, sweet blend, spicy blend, Cajun blend, Asian blend, Mexican blend, etc. so I could potentially do a sweet spicy savory Asian chicken for example.

Last edited:
Arron Franklin's Evolving Base Rub from his video (below)
*Note - his measurements are in "parts","bits", "smidges", and "touches" so these are approximates as seen by the volume added in the video.

Arron starts with an even mixture of salt and pepper for his brisket rub
1/2 cup of course black pepper
1/2 cup of kosher salt

Optional ingredients for Texas style brisket rub
(or an all purpose rub).
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder

He then states to make this rub for pork add the following
3/4 teaspoon of hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder

For ribs use the complete blend above, but double the pepper
add another 1/2 cup of black pepper

He then says to make this a chicken rub add
3 Tablespoons of brown sugar

He says he wouldn't add sugar to a pork rub or a rib rub, because sugar burns over time making it dark, whereas chicken cooks faster so it doesn't seem to burn as easily.

https://youtu.be/dGwmaq6y6iU

Not to be too bureaucratic, but the salt and pepper ratio by volume used by Aaron Franklin in his book is Morton's Kosher Salt and 16 Mesh black pepper. Diamond Crystal kosher salt, for example, has a different particle size and weight than Morton's.

Whatever......... :-D

Arron Franklin's Evolving Base Rub from his video (below)
*Note - his measurements are in "parts","bits", "smidges", and "touches" so these are approximates as seen by the volume added in the video.

Arron starts with an even mixture of salt and pepper for his brisket rub
1/2 cup of course black pepper
1/2 cup of kosher salt

Optional ingredients for Texas style brisket rub
(or an all purpose rub).
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder

He then states to make this rub for pork add the following
3/4 teaspoon of hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder

For ribs use the complete blend above, but double the pepper
add another 1/2 cup of black pepper

He then says to make this a chicken rub add
3 Tablespoons of brown sugar

He says he wouldn't add sugar to a pork rub or a rib rub, because sugar burns over time making it dark, whereas chicken cooks faster so it doesn't seem to burn as easily.

https://youtu.be/dGwmaq6y6iU

Thanks! This helps a ton! I like cooking in parts as it will allow me to make rubs up on the spot in just a minute or two

I am under the impression that turbinado sugar has less tendency to burn, making it a better option for rubs. I read that somewhere a long time ago, can't guarantee its validity.

Over the years I have gone from the many ingredient rubs down to just salt and pepper. Or SPOG with some chile powder if I am feeling overly complicated.:rolleyes:

For brines, dry or wet, I prefer brown sugar over granulated. Can't say why, just do.

I am under the impression that turbinado sugar has less tendency to burn, making it a better option for rubs. I read that somewhere a long time ago, can't guarantee its validity.

Over the years I have gone from the many ingredient rubs down to just salt and pepper. Or SPOG with some chile powder if I am feeling overly complicated.:rolleyes:

For brines, dry or wet, I prefer brown sugar over granulated. Can't say why, just do.

Yeah the burning thing is why I’m considering turbinado.

When I was making my own rubs I always use turbinado sugar. Worked well and I feel it helped the rub with clumping. I may be wrong but I thought it stayed looser.

Back