THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
The original owners of the house behind us planted some Red Tips along the fenceline 15 or so years ago for added privacy. Great idea, but they, nor the new owner since, have never taken care of them. They went from bushes to trees. More unfortunate was the big oak tree in their backyard that forced the red tips to grow more over our yard than straight upwards. We had them trimmed back a couple times, but they really needed a major cut back, as they were covering about a third of my backyard. The shade was good for me, but wasn't helping our plants or grass. I got in contact with the current owner, and he politely and nicely told me that I could do whatever I wanted to them.

So, my buddy, who owns an arborist company, brought his crew by Friday. I told them I'd cook for them, and I felt like making fajitas. Over three pounds of skirt steak, trimmed of silverskin, and fork tenderized, and several different bell peppers and onions, marinated using a loose variation of the following recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/06/grilled-skirt-steak-fajitas-food-lab-recipe.html

Served it with flour tortillas, homemade Pico, and freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese. Everything tasted great, but the meat wasn't very tender. Not sure if it was the meat, the marinade, the cook, or what. I ended up chopping the leftovers the next day for dinner to make them easier to eat.

Here's the pics:

60FF6DB5-7150-4F25-ACFA-6A65D63C8BC7_zpsxyvjcsbl.jpg

EBEAD041-F57A-453F-B8E2-9A7B3A7BCBD6_zps3gq0gbrs.jpg

FB5E4070-ECA5-4B20-BED4-AF82A7DCF563_zps57dwnyn2.jpg

B52C0697-6E5A-4A61-BD9E-5746F949B693_zpsmzkrqbo4.jpg

E586E202-F3D9-4B0C-876B-CC0E265009DF_zpskch3oeu5.jpg

4174E215-3BEE-4A5B-9229-7EF811A29C9C_zps9ypvkdyv.jpg

Untitled_zpsrqmj5hcy.jpg

"The meat wasn't very tender."
We may be spoiled by 'Tender', others might think it was the best ever.
You just never know, looks tasty to me.
Heck, alot of times I like a good gnaw....

Thanks y'all...

Can I be part of the crew?

Come on over Sir. But you'll have to teach me some of your wing cooking tips...

Do you get a discount for feeding the crew?

The owner worked for free (Friend rate) and I just had to pay the rest of the crews hourly wage. So, um, yeah. Probably did about $500 worth of work (that I didn't have to do myself) and I paid about $200 plus lunch.

The original owners of the house behind us planted some Red Tips along the fenceline 15 or so years ago for added privacy. Great idea, but they, nor the new owner since, have never taken care of them. They went from bushes to trees. More unfortunate was the big oak tree in their backyard that forced the red tips to grow more over our yard than straight upwards. We had them trimmed back a couple times, but they really needed a major cut back, as they were covering about a third of my backyard. The shade was good for me, but wasn't helping our plants or grass. I got in contact with the current owner, and he politely and nicely told me that I could do whatever I wanted to them.

So, my buddy, who owns an arborist company, brought his crew by Friday. I told them I'd cook for them, and I felt like making fajitas. Over three pounds of skirt steak, trimmed of silverskin, and fork tenderized, and several different bell peppers and onions, marinated using a loose variation of the following recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/06/grilled-skirt-steak-fajitas-food-lab-recipe.html

Served it with flour tortillas, homemade Pico, and freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese. Everything tasted great, but the meat wasn't very tender. Not sure if it was the meat, the marinade, the cook, or what. I ended up chopping the leftovers the next day for dinner to make them easier to eat.

Regarding not being tender, couple thoughts. How long did you marinate? Perhaps not long enough? I use Lime with Bolners seasoning, marinating 2-4 hours minimum and mine come out tender. If you marinated sufficient time, then maybe not enough acid in the recipe? Other thought is did you slice against the grain? That's pretty key with skirt steak.

They looked awesome though!

I hear you on the skirt steak. How do restaurants get skirt so tender?

Your feast looks grand.

Regarding not being tender, couple thoughts. How long did you marinate? Perhaps not long enough? I use Lime with Bolners seasoning, marinating 2-4 hours minimum and mine come out tender. If you marinated sufficient time, then maybe not enough acid in the recipe? Other thought is did you slice against the grain? That's pretty key with skirt steak.

They looked awesome though!

I trimmed the meat, sliced the veggies, and made the marinade the night before, but did not marinate the meat until about 9 am the day of. I didn't grill until around 3 pm, so I think it had to have plenty of time. Might need more acid.

And yes, I definitely went against the grain. And I kept slicing thinner and thinner as I went, as I could tell there was too much bite.

Thanks though!

Back