THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Last week, I saw where David Chang posted a recipe from his Lucky Peach magazine for slow cooker pho. This is a dish I have been wanting to make myself for a long time, but had not gotten around to doing it due to a lack of time. When I found the Lucky Peach recipe, I decided it was time to break down and make it. Of course, my usual grocer didn't have short rib this one time, so I substituted chuck eye steaks and a ribeye.

EDIT: This turned out excellent and according to the family, it will become a weekly thing. Next time I may try to "complex" it up by adding some roasted beef bones and a couple other things in the mix.

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/slow-cooker-pho-101-easy-asian-recipes/

1 large yellow onion, sliced into ½” rounds
1 piece (2") fresh ginger, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 t neutral oil
2 lbs chuck short ribs
+ kosher salt
2 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick (3")
4 whole cloves
8 C beef broth
1–2 T fish sauce
10 oz flat rice noodles, fettuccine-size

Garnishes

• 1 C bean sprouts
  • ½ C Thai basil leaves
  • ½ C mint leaves
  • ½ C cilantro, stems and leaves
  • 2 jalapenos, sliced into 1/4" rounds
  • + lime wedges
  • + hoisin sauce, sriracha, or sambal
  1. Heat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil.
  2. Arrange the onion slices and ginger on the baking sheet pan and brush with the oil. Broil until charred in spots, about 10 minutes.
  3. Season the short ribs with salt. Arrange the onions and ginger, short ribs, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, and beef broth in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or until the meat is just tender. Turn off the slow cooker and let the broth and meat rest for 30 minutes. Remove the meat from the broth and slide off the bones. Strain the broth (discard the solids). Skim any fat that rises to the surface of the broth. (At this point, the broth and meat can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Rewarm before proceeding.)
  4. Return the broth to a simmer and season with the fish sauce and salt.
  5. Meanwhile, prepare the rice noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
  6. Slice the meat into bite-size pieces. Portion out the noodles and meat among 4 large soup bowls. Ladle the hot broth into the bowls, warming the noodles and meat. Serve with the garnishes.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
This looks great! I'm gonna try it...I've also gotta keep better tabs on David Chang and his Lucky Peach website/magazine! Thanks for putting this up and TOFTT

I will have to try to make this for the wife. She buys the instant boxes for random cravings and still orders it when we go out.

She prefers the Seafood Pho. Think the broth is any different?

Ok, just went to the Peach Page, read the recipe, saved the link, figured I'd check out some more recipes. Scrolled down. Kept scrolling. And scrolling. And scrolling... Does this farking page ever end?

I could waste all afternoon here...

I will have to try to make this for the wife. She buys the instant boxes for random cravings and still orders it when we go out.

She prefers the Seafood Pho. Think the broth is any different?

You could either go the traditional bone marrow route or shortcut it with chicken broth. I probably wouldn't use a seafood broth for it.

I'm going to make this next week, but I'm going to sub the beef broth for chicken broth and sub the beef out for bone-in chicken. After that, I will probably do a shrimp pho, because I order that one out about three-fourths of the time I eat it.

Back