THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I have been wanting to try beef tongue for quite a while. I finally found some at RD so I picked one up but I don't really know how to prepare it.

I know people make tacos and would like to try that. I believe people usually either braise or boil. Can anybody point me to a good beef tongue recipe?

Thanks,

Matt

I have heard it is the best part of the cow and am about to try it myself. I have never cooked it but would try it look I do a chuck roast. Put it a pan with some onions clery and carrots and smoke until fork tender. Interested to hear how it was

I wonder how much flavor from the rub/smoke remain after peeling off the skin. I think it is more commonly braised.

One Mexican restaurant I ate at, left the skin on. Tongue was chopped, and you could still see the taste buds. Really nasty.

Cure it and make pastrami. Cure, smoke to 150-155, pressure cook (or steam) untill done. Skin should peel off, slice thin, enjoy. I also use beef heart for pastrami.

in 1978, I was a laid off carpenter. There was no work available. I spent a year running the tongue saw at a slaughter house. Sixty hours a week, standing in cold, bloody water sawing the throat meat off of beef tongues.

I have eaten it on a couple of occasions, but it always sends me back to that nasty job.....

Used the same method you use on ribs, eh? :p

In all seriousness... those tacos look fantastic.

Glad this time worked out well... hope you'll have the time you wanted for the next go around.

Side Note:
I'm a huge fan of pastrami... but I've never even considered corning a beef tongue and making pastrami (a la Teleking)! That may need to join my long to-do list... Thanks!

I've got a 1/4 cow coming middle of next month and I've already claimed the tongue. Ill be trying pastrami.

First time I ever tried it, it was sliced thin, seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled hot and fast. Made me a believer. Super simple and delicious.

A friend made some a few years back but didn't tell me what it was. He peeled it, and soaked in salt water for a few hours.

It was the most tender beef I have ever eaten and had a very good beef flavor. I was shocked when he told me what it was, but have since eaten it many times...

Also been rumored to grind offal into "moose" sausage to bring ice fishing. A wink and a nod to the few people in the know and everyone else raging over it.��

Back