THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
I had heard for months now that there was going to be a Mini Cajun Bandit conversion for the Weber Smokey Joe and while Left Hand Smoke was competing at the Jack we got a surprise visit from the C&C Grilling Co. crew.
Chris Byrd and Chris Perres presented a prototype of the Mini for me to test drive!

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

I have done a little tweaking to it and added a handle on the vent, temporary thermometer in the lid vent, and I'm tempted to mount a thermometer at the grate level above the door using the thermo mount from a Genesis grill. My thinking is it can double as the grate thermo, or remote probe access. We'll see?

IMG_2794.jpg

The conversion is solid with rolled edges, fits securely, the charcoal grate fits inside the ring on tabs. Stainless steel waterpan, 2 grate levels.
I replaced the wing nuts that secure the legs with bolts for peace of mind.

First cook tonight! I have a spatchcocked chicken marinating, and possibly some thighs. Stay tuned!

I had heard for months now that there was going to be a Mini Cajun Bandit conversion for the Weber Smokey Joe and while Left Hand Smoke was competing at the Jack we got a surprise visit from the C&C Grilling Co. crew.
Chris Byrd and Chris Perres presented a prototype of the Mini for me to test drive!

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

I have done a little tweaking to it and added a handle on the vent, temporary thermometer in the lid vent, and I'm tempted to mount a thermometer at the grate level above the door using the thermo mount from a Genesis grill. My thinking is it can double as the grate thermo, or remote probe access. We'll see?

IMG_2794.jpg

The conversion is solid with rolled edges, fits securely, the charcoal grate fits inside the ring on tabs. Stainless steel waterpan, 2 grate levels.
I replaced the wing nuts that secure the legs with bolts for peace of mind.

First cook tonight! I have a spatchcocked chicken marinating, and possibly some thighs. Stay tuned!

Looks good Brian!! Maybe we can arrange a side by side cook with our smoker joe/tamale steamer mod!! :-D

Did I mention I'm free for dinner tonight! :wink:

I made a miniWSM using an aluminum tamale pot that fits perfectly in my Smoky Joe. I don't have the water pan or access door that the Cajun Bandit model provides.

It's a great tailgating machine. I have done a whole spatchcocked chicken on it, a couple dozen moinks and a some ABTs (not at the same time obviously). It's good low and slow or high heat. A fun addition to the portfolio.

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

I enjoy the homemade version but I have some products from Cajun Bandit for my kettle and I would look really hard at anything they have to offer. Glad to hear it's available.

:wink:
I made a miniWSM using an aluminum tamale pot that fits perfectly in my Smoky Joe. I don't have the water pan or access door that the Cajun Bandit model provides.

It's a great tailgating machine. I have done a whole spatchcocked chicken on it, a couple dozen moinks and a some ABTs (not at the same time obviously). It's good low and slow or high heat. A fun addition to the portfolio.

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

I enjoy the homemade version but I have some products from Cajun Bandit for my kettle and I would look really hard at anything they have to offer. Glad to hear it's available.

We've got the homemade version also...8 year-old daughter and i have used it in competition several times. Gets used a lot for shorter cooks for the family...it's becoming the go to cooker at our house.

I'm anxious to get over to swamprb's and check out the Cajun Bandit version. I do like the door idea...the tamale pot lifts off when adding coals/smoking wood (but I'm never happy looking for a place to set the hot, dripping, pot while making additions). Want to see the water pan up close also...using a clay flower pot base currently.

Sure hope Swamp invites me over to play soon! :wink:

Looks awesome Brian!

Ive been using my 15 gal drum modded one (think you saw it in yakima...) for 6 months or so and really like it! I built it for camping since I always take the SJ anyways, now I can toss a butt on there while off playing too!

Im interested in what you get for burn times, with 1 fully lit chimney I can get a little over 5 hours @ 250°. I haven't made a charcoal basket of any sort for mine, I just use the regular grate.

Look forward to pics of your cook!

I gotta get me one of those too. I fire up my 18" WSM all the time for small cooks, it would be so much easier with a smaller unit. This would be perfect!

Back