THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqisfun

Knows what WELOCME spells.
I am going to try and smoke ribs for the first time ever tomorrow and have no idea what I'm doing lol. We've never done ribs, only pulled pork.

I was wondering if anyone can give me a few tips and the basics of how I should cook them, rub, temp, and time?

I'll be using my Akorn for this and I bought 5 1/2 pounds of something called "Pork Spareribs". Are they any good? I have no idea how the different rib types compare.

Any input is helpful and much appreciated.

Thank you!

Ribs are easy, you'll have a blast. You can cook them at almost any temp from 225 to 300+. Scroll to the bottom and look up 3-2-1 method and "bend test" (this will help you to recognize when it's done).

Don't use as much wood for the ribs as you do with pulled pork, once you get the colour on them that you want you can foil them if you wish, or just let them roll, also my personal rib temps are 250 to 275

I smoked some st louis spares on Tuesday and didn't foil for the first time and they were really good. U should YouTube videos on how to trim spare ribs cuz there's a lot of cartilage and bones outside of the rib bone. I hate them and trim them all off if I have spares. I cooked mine around 275 for a little over 3 hours, just smoked them until they looked like they were done then checked to see if it passed the bend test and once it did I sauced it and let it go about another 30 mins or so until the sauce set on the ribs really good and pulled them off. they were so good I think that's my new method, I'm throwing out the foil with butter and brown sugar crap cuz it's not needed and gives u a better chance of over cooking them. Good luck with ur cook.

bbqisfun.....with a name like that, you sure to do fine !!!

All good stuff from the folks above, plus, if you've already done some pork product, this should go fine....
Here's a little discussion on ways to cook & such.....I put some pics in there to show a way they can get slightly trimmed so they cook a little more even.......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210709

Maybe try the St. Louis cutting another time & just do a basic cookup first time....

Here's a couple easy-to follow trim & cook videos....different cooker, concepts are all the same....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSFdddaRnk"]BBQ with Franklin: Pork Ribs part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMQ7g2EJMoM"]BBQ with Franklin: Pork Ribs part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

He talks about wrapping, sauce, spritzing, doneness, etc. so you can make some informed choices.....I agree w/ GrantW , 260~275 is a nice middle temp (at the grate level) to cook.....bending test is like so, late in the game.....a guess might be 4~5 hours, approx.

FathersDay2013015.jpg

Done some ribs last week...Kamado stayed steady at 262. I did foil at 160 with a little apple juice.
For wood I used some cherry - turned out good.
Good luck with your ribs!!

Hey Man! Like the others have said have fun and follow the suggestions here and they will be great! I have an Akorn too and it is a great rib cooker!

Did Baby backs last week on the Akorn and they basically came out perfect!

Spares will take a bit longer maybe 30-45 mins more.

For Baby backs I did 275 for 3 hours no wrap start probing for tenderness at about 3 hours or use bend test when you get 3/4 bone pull back. Spares will probably take 4 hours at that temp.

Rub the meat while cooker is coming up to temp. Apple or cherry works great for ribs.

Wow, thanks so much for the great replies, links, and videos. I really appreciate it!

At this point, my only question is how I'll really know when the ribs are done. It sounds like it isn't something you stick a Thermapen in and know for sure right? I don't want to under-cook them and get sick, or overcook and have it taste bad.

Is there any definitive way to know when ribs are done?

Thanks so much!

When you can stick a toothpick between the bones and it slides in with no resistance. You can also check using the bend test. Take some tongs and hold half the rack and if the other half falls 90 degrees straight down and the bark starts to crack they are done. Start checking at about the 3.5 hour mark using the toothpick.

So for planning purposes, should one count on 4, 5 or 6 hours to finish? Trying to figure a start time to eat at 6:00 PM. Will also be my first rib cook and on a Weber kettle.

Definitely use the bend test. 3-2-1 method is a great place to start. Worst case is that they get too done and the meat falls off the bone. I did two racks a few weeks ago and one was perfect with the bend test and the other one fell apart. Same time for both they were just different I guess.

I'd put them on at noon @ 275* myself.

This would seem right......

I put beans underneath sometimes & run a chain of coals so there's no stopping & adding more part way thru the cook....

FathersDay2013003.jpg

FathersDay2013004.jpg

Right about like as described.....275 for 5

FathersDay2013022.jpg

(these were the same ones in the bend test up above)

Back