- Texas crunch
- Put back on smoker at 275-300 for an additional 4 hours
- Remove from smoker
- Optimal temp when removing - about 200 degrees
- Blanket wrap, let rest for a few hours and serve

Thats better plan

6/23/21

Hey y'all

I will be smoking my very first brisket next weekend and need a bit of advice. I have a 12 pound, gorgeous brisket that I will be seasoning the night before my cook with black pepper, salt and coffee. I am planning on having about 12 people over and I am shooting to serve dinner around 6:30 pm. I'll be smoking on a Traeger Pro Series 34 with hickory pellets. I have seen and read numerous recipes and videos, all providing different methods, temps, etc. After digesting all of this, I am leaning towards a low and slow cook, starting around 6:30 am at 165. I am planning on taking it off around noon, use the Texas crunch method and returning it to the smoker for several more hours. I'll remove the meat, wrap it in a blanket and let it set in my cooler until it is time to serve.

Thoughts?

What is the optimal temp I am shooting for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daba's BBQ

If you start your brisket cook with temp settings at 275* degrees or higher, your brisket will cook and get done as others have advised, but it will lack almost any smoke flavor profile at all. Your brisket will be seasoned and flavored by the rubs and injections applied and not by any desired smoke from your pellet grill. Almost like using an oven. For your future brisket cook and it’s very important, is to give yourself and your brisket enough time… Start early and set your Traeger on its Smoke temp setting. When your Traegers smoke temp setting is steady, place your brisket in the smoker and allow your brisket to absorb at least 2-4 hours of smoke at that temp setting. Many Pellet Grill Owners will do this process even longer, like 6 hours to overnight too aid in the smoking process. After the initial brisket smoke step is completed, then you can bump your smokers temp up to 250*, 275* or even 300* degrees to finish. Remember, most pellet grills put out almost no smoke at temps above 250* degrees. The higher the set temp the lower the smoke output. Something to consider is getting/using a Pellet Smoke Tube to help add some extra smoke on future cooks. There are other options to add smoke to a pellet grill, but that’s for another thread. On your brisket cook, always plan your work and work your plan… Every bbqing cooking device is different and each one has to be approach according to its strengths and weaknesses. Pellet Grills work best bbqing low and slow to start a cook and then bump the temp up as necessary to finish. I hope your brisket cook turns out great for your gathering and Good luck. FYI.. Another Brethren here Ttkt57 just posted a good Pellet Smoked Brisket video.. Here’s the link. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292596I hope the info helps.

Last edited:
based upon everyone's advice, it looks like I should do an overnight cook. Having never done this before, how safe is it? If I set the Trager at say 260, will 18 pounds of pellets last through the night?

Also you should make one of these…mine is for a larger cook so yours will be more simple, but it’s very helpful:

129dcac7f9f621c993da57a11ccaa82a.jpg

Also note that I pull by temp and just approximate the time to be aware of it. Mine ended up hitting temp two hours earlier.

Back