Smoking a Whole Chicken

For smoked chicken lovers that don't worry about "crisp" skin:

Salt heavily with Kosher and leave in fridge for a couple of hours. Rinse, and then use Chris Lilly's loaf pan recipe, but with reduced or no salt in his seasoning since you dry brined.

Chris' technique for some of the juiciest chicken I've ever had, is basically just cooking a small 3.5lb and under broiler in it's own juice, in a 9x5" pan. His seasoning recipe goes really good with the apple sauce/worster slather that drips down into the pan, adding to the juices. Don't smoke at over 300* or the apple sauce will darken too much, and if you want even browning, flip the birds once.

If you want crisp skin, butterfly and grill. If you want juicy smoked chicken though, try the above technique. :thumb:

I'm gonna have to try this one for sure

Count me as one of the guys for spatchcock. Did 2 birds the other night. I generally do them hot and fast. On my performer I'll get 2 charcoal baskets going, one on each side I'll put the birds in between, breast to the outside, skin side up. Did these last ones with yardbird. Drop a couple hickory chips in the corner of the charcoal basket for some smoke. Comes out perfect for me, legs and thighs done and the breast still nice and juicy.

Count me as one of the guys for spatchcock. Did 2 birds the other night. I generally do them hot and fast. On my performer I'll get 2 charcoal baskets going, one on each side I'll put the birds in between, breast to the outside, skin side up. Did these last ones with yardbird. Drop a couple hickory chips in the corner of the charcoal basket for some smoke. Comes out perfect for me, legs and thighs done and the breast still nice and juicy.

Try dry brining for a couple hours, and they'll be even better, I promise. :thumb:

I haven't used the baskets in a while, but that does sound like a great plan for grilling two birds without having to stay outside and sweat the whole time. Any times/temp suggestions?

I tried SmokinAussie's stuffed n' smoked chicken and it was really good. I normally spatchcock my chickens but stuffed is definitely worth a try.

Like a mini Thanksgiving dinner. :mrgreen:

Try dry brining for a couple hours, and they'll be even better, I promise. :thumb:

chasmosis said:

I haven't used the baskets in a while, but that does sound like a great plan for grilling two birds without having to stay outside and sweat the whole time. Any times/temp suggestions?

I need to try brining a couple, usually though I'm in a hurry trying to get supper going for my kids. These 2 birds I did a high heat indirect, vents wide open on the performer, with the birds on and the baskets on the sides the therm in the lid reads 400-450, don't have good times either, maybe an hour or so total cook time, I put them on and let it go for 30 min then will check visually every so often, when it looks about right I'll test the temp with a thermapen.

After fighting traffic for an hour I was able make it to Bass Pro and picked up some Plowboys. This rub tastes very nice, but has a little kick. When seasoning under the skin are ya'll also seasoning the outside? Im worried that my guests might think it's to much.

You know, I've never understood why we rub down the outside of the chicken and season the cavity...most of us do it but I just cannot taste any of that in the meat. unless you eat the skin, which I don't. I have worked my hand in between the skin and the meat and spooned seasoning directly onto the meat but it required alot more effort. Personnally, I think if you want flavor, injecting with one of the commercial cajun sauces is your best bet.

You know, I've never understood why we rub down the outside of the chicken and season the cavity...most of us do it but I just cannot taste any of that in the meat. unless you eat the skin, which I don't. I have worked my hand in between the skin and the meat and spooned seasoning directly onto the meat but it required alot more effort. Personnally, I think if you want flavor, injecting with one of the commercial cajun sauces is your best bet.

Exactly! I don't care for the skin either. I guess I'll put some rub in the injector and go lightly on the outside.

+1 on the brining, makes a difference and worth the trouble, especially when reheated for leftovers.
I like to put a herb compound butter under the skin and a rub on the outside.

After fighting traffic for an hour I was able make it to Bass Pro and picked up some Plowboys. This rub tastes very nice, but has a little kick. When seasoning under the skin are ya'll also seasoning the outside? Im worried that my guests might think it's to much.

Plowboys Yardbird is good stuff, and it makes for some really good looking smoked chicken. I haven't really noticed any kick to it, but I'll add that you could just season with something like Lawry's or Weber's Beercan chicken under the skin, saving the Yardbird for the outside. I did that recently with the Weber BC and the Plowboys YB on some leg quarters that I smoked, and they were great. I wouldn't do that if you're gonna brine, though, as it would probably end up too salty.

Any rub will work. The thing I like to do is slather the bird down with spicy italian dressing, then the rub 'o the day. For some reason that dressing helps create a nice color and flavor to the skin, while allowing the bird to cook up nicely. I use that same dressing (I try for the "light version") on most everything I smoke.

Ribs are exceptional with the italian dressing slather.

Man I love this forum! The birds just went for a bath. Gonna smoke them up tomorrow. :becky:

Attachments

• Photo_CE2AD016-946F-6F73-6691-F3A58BDCD7CD.jpg
    Photo_CE2AD016-946F-6F73-6691-F3A58BDCD7CD.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 99
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I finished the chicken and it was the best I've ever had. The key is the brine! I brined it for 13 hours and smoked it will apple wood. Thanks ya'll for the advice! :clap2: It was also my first smoke on my new UDS. I think I will be building another one real soon.

Attachments

• Chicken 2.jpg
    Chicken 2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Chicken 3.jpg
    Chicken 3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 82
  • Chicken 4.jpg
    Chicken 4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Chicken 5.jpg
    Chicken 5.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 83
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I finished the chicken and it was the best I've ever had. The key is the brine! I brined it for 13 hours and smoked it will apple wood. Thanks ya'll for the advice! :clap2: It was also my first smoke on my new UDS. I think I will be building another one real soon.

Cool.
I too notice a different/better flavor with my birds when I brine them.

Nice work! :clap2:

I've been brining most of my chix for a while, and when I don't, I always think to myself that I should have. It does make a difference!

Drumdum, how long were the birds in the drum? I am planning on doing my first cook in my new drum next Friday and chicken is the meat of choice.

Back