Smoked Cheese Failure?

Temps though. I used 8 red hot coals in my MES30 with a 2x2 inch chunk of cherry. I had a hard time keeping the temp below 150F (i was smoking jerky)

8 coals would be too much for sure. I do 4 in my WSM. Granted the outside temp was like 33° which helped. I can't do it in the sun in warm weather cuz it gets too hot inside even without any charcoal.

I use 4 lit pieces of charcoal as a stand and put a piece of smoke wood on top. I have it go until it stops....anywhere between 75 and 120 minutes. Seems to be just fine. People who have it love it.

I did do one kind of cheese with 3 different smoke woods, so I think on Super Bowl Sunday I'll break those out and do the pepsi challenge to see if you can tell the difference between cherry, pecan and sugar maple.

Thanks. Let me know the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 Things
The colder the temp you smoke cheese, the longer you will need to keep it on the smoke. I like to smoke as cold as possible to preserve the integrity of the texture and prevent oil "weeping". Cheese I used to smoke for 1 1/2-2 hrs @ 70 degrees takes double the time @ 50 degrees for example.

2nd, rest that cheese. Minimum is two weeks but 3-4 weeks is optimal. I vacuum pack it and let some age a year and it takes mediocre cheese and turns it world class.

~keep on smokin'

Back