THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
A couple of weeks ago I did my first batch of fish on the smoker. I didn't brine them and they ended up being more like a cross between smoked and baked. They were quite good but, they weren't exactly what I was hoping for. At our shop, we used to get a guy that would stop by with smoked fish he had caught in Lake Superior. It was mainly Whitefish but, there were some trout and others available as well. I loved this fish and would destroy a whole package myself in just one sitting. This fish was slow smoked and very tender. I really miss that fish.
The other day, my BIL dropped off a bag with two huge fillets in it. He said that he wasn't going to do anything with them and figured I might want to try smoking them up. For the record, I have no idea what kind of fish this is. I have a feeling these were from a fish that had been caught a while back and he was trying to clean out his freezer but, don't look a gift fish in the gills.
003.jpg

Wanting to try to do things better this time around, I put the fillets in a bag with some rubs, Kosher salt, Raw Sugar, and water and let them sit overnight.
004.jpg

The next day I took them out and got the UDS fired up with some hickory.
243.jpg

244.jpg

249.jpg

I gave the fillets a dusting with Cow Pow and put them skin side down.
246.jpg

247.jpg

After about 2 hours with the UDS running in the low 200's.
252.jpg

After 3 hours in the UDS.
255.jpg

256.jpg

At around 4 hours, I decided that they were starting to really dry out and if I wanted to keep any moisture, I had better pull them.
274.jpg

276.jpg

I would have to say that these were the best ones I've smoked so far. A little on the salty side but, very tasty. I plan on taking some more pictures of stuff I make with them later. Looking forward to bagels with cream cheese and smoked fish in the morning.

Edit: As a quick side note, I apologize for the lack of quality in these pictures. Wife took the good camera with her on vacation and have been having to use the cel.

Last edited:
Those look very good. How was their moisture? I might have to start brining my filets.

Those look very good. How was their moisture? I might have to start brining my filets.

The moisture towards the meatier part of the fillets was very good. Towards the thinner parts and outter edges, there was more of a Kippered Jerky like texture. Slightly chewier but not arid by any means. The next time I do this, I will go less sugar in the brine, as I believe this contributed to the chewiness and less salt in the seasonings. Even though it may have ended up being on the salty side, could totally see destroying a fillet with just some crackers while having some drinks.

Good looking smoked/baked fish. If you are interested, he is my smoked fish recipe that is easy and works great!

1 cup kosher salt
1cup brown sugar
1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup The Rub Co Santa Maria seasoning
1/8 cup soy sauce

Mix brine and soak no longer than 2 hours, rinse with clean water. Use a blow dryer or an electric fan to dry the pieces until dry to the touch, very important! Smoke with cherry or apple for approx 3 hours at 225*. Enjoy with your favorite adult carbonated beverage!!!
Just to add, there is no basting at all during this. The chunks will get a caramel color and be firm. Do not overcook this!

I have to stop checking back on this thread, everytime it makes me crave another bite. Trying to save one of the fillets to share with my BIL and his brother but... :hungry:

Looking good Butsz!

Phish doesn't need a overnight brining.
The Philets you got there probably don't need more than 1-2 hours...depends how salty your brine is.

Thanks Phu!
This was the second time I did them, the first was no brine. Good to know it doesn't take nearly as long as I thought.

I have to stop checking back on this thread, everytime it makes me crave another bite. Trying to save one of the fillets to share with my BIL and his brother but... :hungry:

Thanks Phu!
This was the second time I did them, the first was no brine. Good to know it doesn't take nearly as long as I thought.

Whoops, there it goes. Better start making you're excuses...:becky:

BigButzBBQ - that looks awesome and I want it!

Good looking smoked/baked fish. If you are interested, he is my smoked fish recipe that is easy and works great!

1 cup kosher salt
1cup brown sugar
1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup The Rub Co Santa Maria seasoning
1/8 cup soy sauce

Mix brine and soak no longer than 2 hours, rinse with clean water. Use a blow dryer or an electric fan to dry the pieces until dry to the touch, very important! Smoke with cherry or apple for approx 3 hours at 225*. Enjoy with your favorite adult carbonated beverage!!!
Just to add, there is no basting at all during this. The chunks will get a caramel color and be firm. Do not overcook this!

Question. If you had a big fillet that was thinner at the end, would you trim that off and smoke as a separate piece? Maybe pull it off sooner than the larger portion of the fillet?

And if I were to say, buy a side of salmon and try this, would you change up the brine at all?

This seems like a simliar but different approach to what Wampus did with some Salmon. With his Easter Rum Hot Smoked Salmon he almost dehydrated the fish before putting it to heat and smoking.

Thanks.

Back