THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
Seasoned the pork butt with honey hog by meat church and sprinkled some kosher salt.

Smoked temp 215f for around 2 hours until I hit an internal temperature of 160f.

Sprayed it with a little water every hour. Nothing fancy.

Took the pork butt off and wrapped it with two sheets of foil and included the temp probe then back on the smoker.

Took the pork butt off when it hit an internal temperature of 195f

Overall the Pork Butt was not very tender. Nice flavor, can’t complain too much cost was $7.00
Next time going to buy a more quality meat.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 109
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 107
Another way to check which works well for boneless cuts is to probe for tenderness. I like to use them long bamboo skewers for this.

At 195* you pulled too early. Probe until it feels like pushing through warm butter. I've gone into the middle 200's temps often. A couple hours wrapped in towels in a cooler does wonders.
Ed

The best practice that has taken my butt cooks to another level, is putting them in pans 165ish and wrapping with foil. Between 200-205, whenever they probe tender I kill the heat source and leave them in the foil pans (may put them in the oven) for at least an hour. The steaming process makes the meat incredibly tender and moist and the bones slip out easy and clean. Your butt looks good.

• Thanks
Reactions: NZ
Back