THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Titch :-)
We have used this and the Original blend for about 20 years.
We used to import boxes for ourselves and friends direct, however this is almost impossible.
Seems like everyone has gotten into the act and everyone marks up to the obscene
Would anyone have a substitute homemade recipe they would like to share?
The white pepper blend along with Mustard powder, coriander powder, salt and Ginger powder is our main spice mix for our Saveloy sausages.
I’m really wanting a direct replacement for the Slap Ya Mama blends please.
We have access to a magnificent spice importer near us

Can you get ragin Cajun? Good stuff just need to add salt.

Fat Baby's Everystuff seasoning has a white pepper blend. He is a local guy in Kinder Louisiana . You can find him on Etsy.. Great stuff. I use his products all the time

I like your style, Titch. Slap Ya Mama white pepper blend has become my go-to Cajun seasoning. I think it has a little more kick than the original. I wish I could be of more help. I have an unopened bottle of the stuff but it would cost a small fortune to mail it down under. The ingredients seem simple enough, just got to get the ratios right. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies
I shall start with what Bruce posted and see how we go
I do have some coming, but it will be a while

Tom,

Keep in mind that in sausage making and curing mixes, all white pepper is used where the black specks might look unsightly (IE:Bologna). If you are looking for all white pepper, just substitute white pepper for the black pepper.

This might be a starting point for you, try substituting your white pepper for black pepper.

Recipe: Make Your Own Cajun Seasoning Blend
https://comfortfoodfromlouisiana.blogspot.com/2009/05/recipe-make-your-own-cajun-seasoning.html
From CBS' Chow.com:

6 tablespoons paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground white pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Combine paprika, salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and cayenne.

============================================

Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Ingredients (Australia Site)
https://4dflavours.com.au/blog/slap...-perfect-blend-of-zesty-savory-spicy-flavors/

1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can add more according to your taste)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme

Cajun Spice Blend
https://www.seriouseats.com/serious-heat-cajun-spice-blends-homemade-or-store-bought

1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf

Combine all the ingredients into a spice blender, and grind until fine. Use to season meat, poultry, fish or vegetables. Store in a cool, air-tight container for up to three months.

Tom,

Keep in mind that in sausage making and curing mixes, all white pepper is used where the black specks might look unsightly (IE:Bologna). If you are looking for all white pepper, just substitute white pepper for the black pepper.

This might be a starting point for you, try substituting your white pepper for black pepper.

Recipe: Make Your Own Cajun Seasoning Blend
https://comfortfoodfromlouisiana.blogspot.com/2009/05/recipe-make-your-own-cajun-seasoning.html
From CBS' Chow.com:

6 tablespoons paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground white pepper
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Combine paprika, salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and cayenne.

Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Ingredients (Australia Site)
https://4dflavours.com.au/blog/slap...-perfect-blend-of-zesty-savory-spicy-flavors/

1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can add more according to your taste)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme

Cajun Spice Blend
https://www.seriouseats.com/serious-heat-cajun-spice-blends-homemade-or-store-bought

1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf

Combine all the ingredients into a spice blender, and grind until fine. Use to season meat, poultry, fish or vegetables. Store in a cool, air-tight container for up to three months.

Big thank you

Gotta confess that after reading this thread yesterday I found a Slap Ya Mama three pack (original, white pepper, hot) on Amazon and ordered four of them (3 for Christmas presents for the boys, one for me).
I know I don't post here much anymore, but y'all still provide great ideas and inspiration like this and I appreciate it a whole lot!

Back