THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
"The renaissance of regional Southern fare some two decades ago landed shrimp and grits on every menu from Charleston to Savannah—as well as on menus in cities where no shrimp ever swam or spawned. And for good reason. Shrimp and grits is an ethereal dish, guileless and profoundly comforting. You need nothing more than sweet dayboat shrimp (with their shells to make shrimp stock), real country ham or smoked bacon, minced onion or shallots, a knob of butter, and a pot of hot grits to make a memorable dish. Right. But collecting these ingredients is not always easy, even if you happen to live on a tidal creek. As a result, shrimp and grits recipes wind up reading like laundry lists of random, out-of-place ingredients. Diced tomatoes and heavy cream, for instance, are smooth interlopers, but interlopers nevertheless. Frankly wrong are ingredients like bell peppers and sausage—save them for the jambalaya. You can, indeed, make an acceptable dish of shrimp and grits with frozen shrimp, but all the other ingredients need to be pristine."

Recipe here....with only a minor adjustment in the spices and stock portion.. http://ansonmills.com/recipes/459

I use Anson Mills grits and Benton's bacon. They are so delicious, as is this dish. I took out the red pepper flakes and used tony c's creole seasoning in its place. I added a half a dozen raw chopped shrimp to the stock during the simmer for a more shrimpy taste. So simple looking, yet so complex.

Thanks for looking. Sorry no more photos, but I was more intent on eating than documenting today.

I brought home 40 pounds of south MS jumbo shrimp a while back. Yes even frozen they make some amazing shrimp & grits...among other things. Gotta love some Gulf shrimps. Your recipe looks and sounds great but where are the grits?:wink:

I brought home 40 pounds of south MS jumbo shrimp a while back. Yes even frozen they make some amazing shrimp & grits...among other things. Gotta love some Gulf shrimps. Your recipe looks and sounds great but where are the grits?:wink:

Oh, they are under there, promise! They were nice and firm until I added the butter, and they loosened up.

I put the leftover grits in a dish and tomorrow morning, I'm slicing it and grilling the grit cakes and topping it off with the leftover shrimp and sauce. I'm really looking forward to that. The grits should show in that dish. :wink::heh:

I agree with you on the fresh frozen shrimp. The definitely make some fine shrimp and grits. I think as long as you they were frozen fresh and with the shells, you are good to go.

Back