THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks.

24 ounces of veal stock and an entire bottle of wine. I would probably cut that down to 2/3 of a bottle of wine and 18 ounces of stock. If I would have had a few more short ribs the pan would have overflowed. Plus, it took a bit to cook down the liquid for a good gravy, but man was it flavorful. And the thyme sprigs added when it was reduced enough added a nice fresh herb punch.

Thanks for the info. At what temperature and for how long did you cook the ribs. I will be making this on Sunday for dinner. Thanks again.

I would probably cut that down to 2/3 of a bottle of wine ......

I'd agree. Mainly because I'd do the "glug...glug...glug...." thing into the pot, but then pour myself a nice large glass to sip on while i'm cooking.
I mean you have to taste what you're cooking with. Right?
wine.gif

I'd agree. Mainly because I'd do the "glug...glug...glug...." thing into the pot, but then pour myself a nice large glass to sip on while i'm cooking.
I mean you have to taste what you're cooking with. Right?
wine.gif

Generally I'd agree, but I just opened 2 bottles to be sure I had enough to drink while cooking and dining. Plus a 3rd at the ready.

Well now that did not go as planned. End result was a little tough and tasted so so.

Smoked at 230 for 1 hour then braised for about another 1.5 hours at 230ish. I should have gone hotter or longer or both. Lesson learned.

I braised for 2 hours and my dome temp was 325. Plus 30 min to sear them all around. I used a toothpick to test for tenderness.

Sorry it didn't go that well. But, that's another reason to try again!

Well now that did not go as planned. End result was a little tough and tasted so so.

Smoked at 230 for 1 hour then braised for about another 1.5 hours at 230ish. I should have gone hotter or longer or both. Lesson learned.

You would want to go longer than 2.5 hours.

Short ribs take a while to render down the connective tissue inside of them.

You would want to go longer than 2.5 hours.

Short ribs take a while to render down the connective tissue inside of them.

For ribs about the same size as shape as posted here, you really have to braise them right? I had a few last week and left them on at 270 for 3 hours, they were still chewy, but starting to dry out. Flavor was great though.. I plan to braise them next time.

For ribs about the same size as shape as posted here, you really have to braise them right? I had a few last week and left them on at 270 for 3 hours, they were still chewy, but starting to dry out. Flavor was great though.. I plan to braise them next time.

Braising isn't necessary, but you might have to wrap them to prevent them from completely drying out.

I will go nekkid with mine, and then when the bark is the color I want or if the edges are starting to get scorched I will wrap them in foil.

These went nekkid a majority of the cook. I wrapped them after some time. This the the cook thread for it http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170559
Slb1S33.jpg

I've never braised beef ribs. Indirect unwrapped at 250 degrees until they probe always works for me.

Back