Shirley Rolling Today. Brisket, Butts & Chicken

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Kind of doing a refill the freezer cook today along with having folks over later to hang out and drink some beer. Stopped at RD yesterday and picked up some stuff for the weekend and an event next weekend. Should be a nice day. Not quite a sweltering hot as it has been.

Cooking most of this today. Both briskets, 2 butts and probably most of the 40lbs of chicken thighs. Ribs are for next week, but might trim and cook the tips.

Injections for the butts and brisket

Lopping off the fat cap

Injection

A little over 30lbs of brisket. It's been a while since I've done brisket at home just because. Not my favorite, but friends wanted some

Butts injected and rubbed going to bed

Briskets injected and rubbed going to bed

Shirley out of the garage this morning getting a bath, also rubbed down with a little oil

Torching around 8am

Fire ready

Smoke rollin

Running hot and it will back down when meat goes on

Big meat about to go on

On around 9am

Plan is to eat around 5pm'ish. Will probably do a couple batches of chicken and might throw some on soon to cook, pull and bag up so I'm not doing all that later after I've been into the beer/bourbon :becky:.

I'll update and attempt to take pictures of the final product. That normally fails due to things :crazy:

Happy Labor Day weekend cooking!

Ok so making progress :-D

Briskets after about 2hrs

Busting into the 40lbs of boneless skinless thighs

2 full pans. 10lbs in each. Will do more later

Chicken on. Rotated the brisket positions and turned 180

My neighbor brought me a beer so I couldn't say no. Starting earlier than I planned so we'll see how the rest of the cook goes :icon_blush:

Looking great. What temps you cooking at? Also do you rest? Very impressed you can be on at 9am and eating by 5.

Looking great. What temps you cooking at? Also do you rest? Very impressed you can be on at 9am and eating by 5.

My hottest area in the cooker I run 325-350 which gets big meats done in 6hrs or so. It all depends upon how much attention I give to maintaining that :becky:. So they should be done 3-4pm and then rest for an hour'ish. I'm not super concerned about rest time.

very nice way to spend the day. looking forward to the sliced/pulled pics. do you oil down the whole cooker?

very nice way to spend the day. looking forward to the sliced/pulled pics. do you oil down the whole cooker?

I have been. So the cooking chamber and firebox/warmer. Either when it warms up or is cooling down. I don't do it every time.

So after about 3.5hrs I panned/wrapped. This brisket was 147 something

And this one 153 something. Sometimes I like knowing the temps (mostly for brisket). Hey they can be a guide go figure! :-D

Parkay on my brisket because this is America

Probe in. I'll check when it reads 200. That's my number for whatever reason. Never fails me. If it isn't done at 200 I let it ride 30mins and check again and kind of repeat that process.

Got probes in both

Wrapping butts too. Just in foil this time. They were both 145'ish. No probes in these as anywhere around 200 is what I'm shooting for.

Now that they are wrapped temp can get about as hot as it wants. First set of chicken should be done soon. Still contemplating trimming ribs to cook the tips.........:crazy:

uh oh...temping briskets AND not using a thermapen???? the cool kids are not going to be happy.:drama::laugh:

edit: looks damn good regardless!

uh oh...temping briskets AND not using a thermapen???? the cool kids are not going to be happy.:drama::laugh:

edit: looks damn good regardless!

Ha! That's awesome :clap2:.

My thermapen is in my camper that I take to comps. Got 2 of these from RD for $25 each and they read about 1.5 seconds slower, but are fully waterproof and great around the house :becky:. Side by side with a Thermapen you do notice the time difference, but when I'm drinking I can't really tell :crazy:. Plus if I wreck this I won't feel bad :clap2:.

First chicken all sealed up. 20lbs yielded 12.5lb of pulled

1st Butt done right at 6hrs was 200'ish

1st Brisket done at 207

Going to cool these down and go ahead and seal. 1 of each is plenty for later. More chicken is on now and the last butt and brisket should be done in about 20mins.

Cutting up 1st brisket to seal and doing a sample

Something like this

2nd Brisket done. No venting and straight into a cooler to rest for a few hours.

People arriving so i'll update later........hopefully :shock:

I will admit, those brisket pics fantastic!

People are arriving you say, but yet once again my invitation must've been lost in the mail. I will have to take this up with my local post office....

Nice! Great looking grub right there.

Never thought about running a larger cook and using a food saver. Do you just reheat it in the microwave? My largest cooker has only been fired twice as I never need that much at once.

Again really nice job there.

Back