THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sounds very familiar! Congrats and have fun with it!

So we did our first cook. It went well but I was surprised at the lack of smoke that came out. Even when we put it in super smoke there wasn't smoke coming out of the exhaust. The food was def smoky but we didn't see smoke rolling. Is that the same from your experience? Thanks

So we did our first cook. It went well but I was surprised at the lack of smoke that came out. Even when we put it in super smoke there wasn't smoke coming out of the exhaust. The food was def smoky but we didn't see smoke rolling. Is that the same from your experience? Thanks
Yep same experience - not nearly as much smoke rolling as my Lil's Tex - although I haven't used super smoke yet. Of course, once I get my Egg up to temp I rarely see a lot of smoke, but I can smell it, which is the goal.

Congratulations, looking forward to upcoming reviews on the new cooker.

Make sure that you connect your wi-fire controller to the internet if you already haven't. They have released 3 software updates to the controller to date, Should be on version 01.01.02.

I have had nothing but problems with my 1300:

Very Sooty smoke, tons of ash/creosote covering everything. Pellets burning way up into the auger tube. Flame outs. Auger Jams. Failures to start.

After every use (after the unit is completely cooled) I now have to remove the lower grate, drip plate and heat shield. Run the auger for 1-3 minutes to clear the auger tube of burnt pellets. then vacuum out the fire pot. If I don't, the burnt pellets in the auger swell with moisture from the air and will cause an auger jam. Its a real pain. I will be making my 3rd call to Traeger customer service today. I was told that the latest update would fix most of my issues, but they have caused new ones. :rolleyes::tsk::mad:

I am on a different Traeger only Facebook page and many there have had similar issues with their 1300's. Conversely, I have read nothing but glowing reviews for the 850.

I am on a different Traeger only Facebook page and many there have had similar issues with their 1300's. Conversely, I have read nothing but glowing reviews for the 850.

Not to hijack but I have an 850 and all is not well.

I have had 2 cooks and neither have gone well.
Both times the grill would not run below 240-250 no matter what I did. I set the temp everywhere from 165 to 225.
1st cook was a little 3 pound cross rib/chuck roast. Since I could not get it to run as low as I wanted, I just pulled it at 145 and sliced it for sammies. Good enough but not what I wanted to do.

The 2nd cook was 2 racks of pork ribs. Again, I could not get it to run low and slow and it would slowly rise from 240ish to 275. About 3 hours in, I pulled them and wrapped them. Back in for another hour.
At this point I wanted to grill some corn. I turned it up to 330 and it climbed to temp without issue. I then bumped it to about 400 and went back into the house. I went back out a few minutes later and at this point, things went badly. I don't know how or why, but the temp never registered above 400 but the smell of burning paint or plastic was in the air. I looked around and the paint was blistering on the back left side and all around the grease trap, on the outside of the grill. It wasn't a grease fire as the grease trap did not have any grease in it. I put it is shutdown mode as soon as I could but the damage was already done.

I am getting a little bit of a runaround from Traeger. First they say it should be a warranty issue, then they say they have to wait until R&D looks into it so I am on hold as to the status.

-Dave

Mine came from the factory with 01.01.02. In my testing with my new 1300 yesterday, it held temps very well. No soot and low/slow was fine. Set to 200 and it ran 200. Set it to 350, it climbed to 350. It never quite hit 500 during the burn-in, but it was within 10 degrees. What's the last four digits of your serial numbers? Mine is like 1655 or something close to that, going off of memory on my 1300.

Last 4 digits on mine is 1664.
I purchased it 07/01/17
It has been turned off since July 4th.
I was told 01.01.02 is a recent update.
I turned my grill on yesterday and when I checked, it was at 01.01.02. Either it is not really that recent or it updated as soon as I turned on the master power because when I pressed the blue button and went straight to the menu, I was already on 01.01.02.

Thanks for the heads up fellas I will make sure to hook up to wifi but no issues so far for me but only two cooks so we will see

Thanks to all for the heads up. No trouble yet knock on wood. Here are a few pics.
Did a couple fatty's a couple chickens and some stuffed shrooms and smoked mashed sweet potatoes.

Threw some biscuits on there to do a temp check.

Looks a lot different then when we started.

Mine came from the factory with 01.01.02. In my testing with my new 1300 yesterday, it held temps very well. No soot and low/slow was fine. Set to 200 and it ran 200. Set it to 350, it climbed to 350. It never quite hit 500 during the burn-in, but it was within 10 degrees. What's the last four digits of your serial numbers? Mine is like 1655 or something close to that, going off of memory on my 1300.

Our last 4 is 1610

Our last 4 is 1610

Looks like yours is sooting up inside too. Wipe a clean paper towel on the racks, if they are black, it has a soot problem. The diffuser above the fire pot will also show black soot inside.

I escalated my issue to Traeger but I did not hear back from them today.

Back