THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Happy Tuesday, Brethren!

I wasn't planning to do any smoking this weekend (When it's in the high 90s to low 100s in Southern California, all I want to do is crank the AC up and watch the James Bond Marathon) , but a chance stop at Smart and Final changed that.

I was minding my own business when a 7lb. Packer called my name. It said, "dude! I'm like 2.30 a pound! Take me home!"

Then some spareribs whispered, "We're cheaper! We're 1.67 a lb! It says previously frozen, but we aren't!"

What's a man to do?

So I used some guava garlic salt that I ran through a spice grinder.

Rubbed the brisket and stuck it in the cooler overnight.

On the spares I used a mustard layer to hold my go-to rub (South Seas) on.

*I* wanted to do low and slow but the uds wanted to run at 275 no matter what I did.

So I had to wing it. I figured I would go 4 hrs and check the flat, and go from there.

I hadn't done ribs at that temp, but after reading some posts, I went with a 2-2 smoke.

After 4 hours, the brisket was stalled at 168. So I let it go another 90 minutes.

Now the flat was 190.

brhfbrisketout.jpg

I painted it (Patio Daddio style) and put it back on for 30. Then I flipped it, painted it, and let it ride til flat was 200.

I pulled it, foiled it, and rested for 30 min.

hfbrisket.jpg

You can see that while I have a nice ring, the center looks a little dry. I had no complaints from the fam, so all is well.

labordayribs.jpg

Ribs were fotb tender after 2 and 2, so I pulled them and sauced them.

Last edited:
Back