THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First, a great big congrats to the guys of R Butts R Smokin! Awesome job guys! Moo Cow and Vern, nice to get to visit with you Friday night. Exe-Que-tioner, I'm sorry I didn't recognize the Brethen connection, I owe you a handshake and a Howdy! Jeff, I hope you put Teresa's gift to you to good use!

I'm so glad we rebounded in chicken after the dismal showing at Hannibal 2 weeks earlier. I actually liked eveything we turned in. I was surprised in our rib and brisket scores. Ribs--not knowing what all the teams in the top 10 cook for sure, but from the teams that I of know, it was definitely a spares weekend. We were 15th in the scoring. Good babyback ribs folks, I guess not good enough to compete with the spares this weekend. Brisket--disappointed with the scoring, and I guess I'll leave it at that.

Lots of issues with the contest reps that I'm sure KCBS will be getting emails and snail mail about. The Smoking Hills were grand champions....for about 10 minutes....the scoring software was set up to include dessert in the overall points...Great Grills didn't turn in a dessert and got 9th in the catagory...WTF?
R Butts R Smokin has 2 firsts and gets called for 8th overall...Huh?
Bacon's BBQ was called 7th overall but hadn't had a top 10 call in a catagory...WTF?
This isn't adding up!! They get the scoring fixed, checks get re-written, trophies get re-distributed and they get it right. Randy and Jeff's GC will always be a memorable moment, the one that was almost given away.........

Thanks everyone for the kind comments...It was a great weekend (even thought it was hot, stormy and some confusion)...Congrats to all the Brethren Teams!!!

A special thanks to Jeff and Tammy for being such great neighbors!!! You guys made this weekend a lot of fun!!!

It was nice to meet all of you Brethren I had never met before. It is always nice when we all finish close to the top, even if it takes two tries. Thanks for being a good neighbor Exe-que-tioners. See you all on the next one.

Congrats to Randy and Jeff again. Glad see everyone out there. Our 2nd contest this year and we're moving up in scores. Wasn't sure what was going to do when I opened my comp chicken and it had gone south on me. Had to make a 6:30 run to Walmart.

Great to meet more Brethren teams as well! After all the confusion with the scoring I just happened to be looking over our individual judges scoring detail. Our worst category was brisket. Here is how it shows on the sheet:

JUDGE1 JUDGE2 JUDGE3 JUDGE4 JUDGE5 JUDGE6
766 977 977 877 871 977

I thought that a 1 meant a DQ??? Did not think you could give a 1 for anything without the table captain's approval.? Correct me if I am wrong, but I did not think you can just throw down a 1 and get away with it? What's up here? Misprint?:confused:

Congrats to R Butts R Smokin'! The "Wicked Good" charcoal worked great! Also congrats to all who got a call!

One last word to Moocow...........disappointed on the golf cart. Thought I had a free ride again to turn-in's. :roll: All kidding aside, you guys were equally great neighbors as well! Great job on the chicken bro! :wink:

I don't think it's technically possible to get a 1 for tenderness and a score greater than 1 for taste. I'd be calling the rep tomorrow and ask how this happened.

All 7 brethren teams in the top 13! Wow, that's good cookin.

Exe-que-tioner (sorry, your name escapes me right now) ... I cant think of a reason why you should have that 1. Looked good, tasted good - obviously that judge got a unique individual serving.

Assuming that 1 was suppose to be a 7, that would change your scoring from a 140.5712 to a 144.5712 as judge 1's score would have been thrown out.

Had a good time despite the rep issues! Jeff and Randy, huge congrats! You guys are top notch! And thanks for the help getting my WSM under cover before the Friday night rains came! Vern, thanks for the use of the jumper cables for Tammy's van. Gary and Teresa, thanks for the new toy! Can't wait to use it! Jay, thank you for the sauce! Looking forward to trying it out to.

Had a good time despite the rep issues! Jeff and Randy, huge congrats! You guys are top notch! And thanks for the help getting my WSM under cover before the Friday night rains came! Vern, thanks for the use of the jumper cables for Tammy's van. Gary and Teresa, thanks for the new toy! Can't wait to use it! Jay, thank you for the sauce! Looking forward to trying it out to.

Do the jumper cables help with the "new toy", Jeff?

Great to meet more Brethren teams as well! After all the confusion with the scoring I just happened to be looking over our individual judges scoring detail. Our worst category was brisket. Here is how it shows on the sheet:

JUDGE1 JUDGE2 JUDGE3 JUDGE4 JUDGE5 JUDGE6
766 977 977 877 871 977

I thought that a 1 meant a DQ??? Did not think you could give a 1 for anything without the table captain's approval.? Correct me if I am wrong, but I did not think you can just throw down a 1 and get away with it? What's up here? Misprint?:confused:

Congrats to R Butts R Smokin'! The "Wicked Good" charcoal worked great! Also congrats to all who got a call!

One last word to Moocow...........disappointed on the golf cart. Thought I had a free ride again to turn-in's. :roll: All kidding aside, you guys were equally great neighbors as well! Great job on the chicken bro! :wink:
With all the issues this weekend with the reps, it crossed my mind that it was very possible that some team could have been a victim to a mis-key of the scores. I would challenge the 1. Isn't the rep supposed to come tell you if you get a DQ? I recall that happening at other contests.

Obviously, some things could have gone better. We were disappointed in our brisket score as well. I wonder if there was a table there that just didn't like brisket.

But on the other hand, it was great to get to know some of the Brethren there better!

Congrats to R Butts R Smokin! I guess that 11th place chicken was just good enough! Congrats!

With all the issues this weekend with the reps, it crossed my mind that it was very possible that some team could have been a victim to a mis-key of the scores. I would challenge the 1. Isn't the rep supposed to come tell you if you get a DQ? I recall that happening at other contests.

I agree with you. It was probabaly a 7.

Congrats on the chicken rebound!

Back