Seasoning New Blackstone Griddle - Grape Seed Oil? Avocado? Other?...

If I had to choose between a flattop griddle or gas grill, I’d take the griddle any day. Griddle vs charcoal grill I would go charcoal grill with grillgrates or some kind of griddle attachment.

There’s not a lot you can’t do (well) with a kettle and grillgrates, SNS, & vortex.

I just got a 2 burner camp chef griddle and broke it in this weekend camping, i used beef tallow and am happy with the look and feel of it.

What do you guys use to scrape the gridle clean? i used a dough scraper this weekend but need something better going forward.

I use one of these - one of the rivets broke on first use, but I replaced it with a screw and it’s been going strong for a year. In addition to being great at scraping up & flipping smashburgers, I simply drag it back to front across the surface of the griddle after use and one pass usually gets it nice & smooth.

I have a heavy duty, two-handed jobbie from Cuisinart, but I never need to use it.

I strongly suspect it doesn't matter that much which oil/fat is used for the initial seasoning. To keep it well seasoned, just use it a lot.

And cook a lot of bacon on it.

Agreed.

I initially seasoned mine with vegetable oil, and cook bacon on it every week. No problems. Using it often seems to be key.

What do you think is the best oil for seasoning? Was thinking about using grape seed or avocado oil... I read there are some drawbacks to flaxseed oil. Blackstone makes a seasoning and conditioner (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-Griddle-Seasoning-and-Cast-Iron-Conditioner/692147772) but I imagine there are better options.

I realize you probably can’t really go wrong with whatever you choose. Just curious what y’all recommend.

Any oil with a high smoke point.

I use one of these - one of the rivets broke on first use, but I replaced it with a screw and it’s been going strong for a year. In addition to being great at scraping up & flipping smashburgers, I simply drag it back to front across the surface of the griddle after use and one pass usually gets it nice & smooth.

I have a heavy duty, two-handed jobbie from Cuisinart, but I never need to use it.

just ordered one. nice call

I use canola and scrape it with a dough scraper. I got a steel cover and a fabric cover. The fabric kept sticking to the top and causing rust spots, no problem since the steel cover went on it.

Grills grills has a new hybrid grill griddle that looks pretty sweet to me. If I was buying new now, I would strongly consider it.

Back