Seasoning New Blackstone Griddle - Grape Seed Oil? Avocado? Other?...

Purdnost

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Tim
When I took the cover off my 22 inch griddle last week I had some rust spots on it. I just heated it up and wiped it down with whatever was in the kitchen. Don't remember if it was vegetable blend or canola. Cooked a pound of bacon on it the next day. Now I have cooked on it a few times and the top just keeps getting better.
My wife just bought me a 36 inch and I will use canola for the initial seasoning when I have time. I am trying for a time hen the pollen isn't blowing so bad because I don't think pollen will help the seasoning.

You can get a tub of lard for a couple bucks at Walmart. I've tried 3-4 different ways and I've found lard to work the best and last the longest.

Don't let the liquid pool up when seasoning. The trick is super thin coats.

If you don't use it often lard will turn rancid, I just use soybean/veggi oil , you will get rust spots no matter what you use if you don't use it often, I take a wire wheel to mine and clean it up then reseason it

Am I special? I’ve had mine (Camp Chef but whatevs) a year or so and no rust at all. I live in So Cal and keep it covered if there’s any moisture in the weather forecast. I haven’t had to re-season, just cook lots of fatty food and scrape when done.

Avocado oil worked well for me. No rust so far typically leave it covered but occasionally it gets exposed to rain/snow.

My griddle is a couple years old, kept in the garage when not in use.
Never had rust issues.
I used canola for the initial seasoning, followed by bacon and onions.
Worked for me.

Check out Todd Tovin vids on the yootoobs. He covers it very well.

I strongly suspect it doesn't matter that much which oil/fat is used for the initial seasoning. To keep it well seasoned, just use it a lot.

And cook a lot of bacon on it.

Not to throw this off topic, but I am considering replacing my grill with one of these. I think I'd prefer it over the grill for just about everything, except steaks. How do steaks come out on them?

Steaks do well, can crank it up and get a great sear on them but if you get the Camp Chef 600, you can remove the top and you have a regular gas grill with grates underneath. Best of both worlds, it's a little smaller than the Blackstone 36, at 32 inches but it's works well for my family. I recently did 4 lbs of bacon on mine for Easter Brunch. I like that the Camp Chef has a better structure on the bottom of the griddle. I think it gives more even heat distribution and helps prevent warping. The Blackstone just has some sections of angle iron welded to the bottom.

Not to throw this off topic, but I am considering replacing my grill with one of these. I think I'd prefer it over the grill for just about everything, except steaks. How do steaks come out on them?

I wouldn't trade it out for a grill. That's just me personally. Keep the grill around until you think it's as good or better. I like my Blackstone but it won't replace any of my grills. It sure makes a nice addition though.

Back