THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etepete

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Peter
So, I'm planning to do a classic south german pork knuckle - schweinshaxe, on my offset, potentially with some help from the gas grill. I'm figuring out my method and would be very grateful for any advice!

So - as far as I understand I should get fresh/non-cured pork knuckles and maybe brine them the day before. Then give a rub of pepper, caraway seeds and maybe some more bits and pieces on the day. Score the skin too.

Ill try to hit 105 C/220 F on the smoker, put the knuckles in on a bed of sauerkraut, and let run for several hours until it hits c.a. 90 C/194 F.

Once at temp, I'll heat up the old gas bbq with rotisserie, and then rotisserie over direct heat for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

Does this make sense?

Depends. That will certainly get you a nice smoked pork knuckle, but I can't say I've ever had a 'traditional bavarian' schweinshaxe with a noticeable smoke flavor and/or cooked in sauerkraut (although I have had them with a side of sauerkraut). However I'm no expert and can't give you a definitive call on the authentic traditional way of cooking, its just my opinion based on my experience. Although I can say I've spent an appreciable amount of time both as a child and even now (pre Covid) in Munich and southward (mostly on the Chiemsee) visiting relatives for long stretches of time and eating a lot of schweinshaxe. Usually they are roasted in the oven (sometimes on a rotisserie). There are many recipes out there, but they all do include caraway as a key ingredient and they usually have cooking temps of 180-230C.

The one thing about your plan which I will note is; I'm not sure how you'll get the sauce which I think is important.

For me simplest preparation is best (like making a schweinsbraten), I would score the skin-on knuckles, put in a roaster with a little water i.e. not full-on braising (more skin side in water than bare meat side) cover with sliced onion, sliced garlic and caraway seeds. Roast for about 30 min, then turn so the scored skin side is up now. Roast until done, baste regularly with some broth (depends on size and what temp you use). At the end, baste with some beer and crank up the heat to brown/crisp the skin (while keeping an eye on it as it can burn quick). remove the meat and set aside. Depending on how the skin is oriented on/around the knuckle you may need to remove before crisping the skin. Strain the sauce and reduce, add a little beer or broth as needed. DO NOT thicken the sauce. You can serve it with what you want on the side. I like a Krautsalat and, this is why the sauce is important, both a Kartoffelknoedel and Semmelknoedel (I have a hard time choosing between them)

With all that said, your plan sounds like it will certainly give you a tasty dish. I've done the related schweinsbraten on my offset (although more roasted than smoked) and it's been good, but it's not the same.

Would love to hear your results. Please post when you do it.

Good German Food is vastly underrated. I have eaten smoked pork knuckle at. German restaurant in Honesdale, PA years ago and it was finished in the broiler. Was awesome. Your plan sounds right on point but I would probably cook the kraut separately and serve on the side.

Thanks guys! Yes, I was asking myself whether smoking it was authentic, but then I do love a good smoke profile... hard call. Ill definitely do the the sauerkraut on the side as you suggest (maybe Ill do red cabbage instead...).

Another, non-smoke, option might be just to do it on the gas rotisserie all the way through, first indirect and low, and then crank up to high direct at the end? Or maybe foil in the smoker (easier to maintain low and low temps for long enough) and then finish off on rotisserie...

Last edited:
I did one here - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251867

Smoked only about an hour
Then braised
Then high heat.

IIRC, my braise included:
Fennel
White Onion
Leeks
Celery
Beer
Orange soda

Thank you, that looks like a really good option. Newbie question - by braising you mean in a pot or saucepan in the smoker?

Toying with using tinfoil with some liquid (apple cider vinegar)... which I suppose should have a similar effect?

I'll be watching to see how this turns out.

I can share some personal flavor information however. I enjoy smoked meats with certain German dishes, pork shanks, cured pork chops and loin back ribs are good examples. I smoke the ribs for example only a couple of hours then finish cooking them tender on a bed of sauerkraut with onions and sausages. The sauerkraut does pick up a smoky flavor, but it's not overpowering. The sausages don't, so having smoked and un-smoked meat in the same dish is nice.

4zgxl.jpg

In the current 'High On The Hog' Throwdown I made Kassler Rippchen mit Sauerkraut using cured and smoked pork chops.

0qE9yLn.jpg

Thank you, that looks like a really good option. Newbie question - by braising you mean in a pot or saucepan in the smoker?

Toying with using tinfoil with some liquid (apple cider vinegar)... which I suppose should have a similar effect?

Not exactly
Braising is done with the lid on.

While you may use the smoker as your heat source, you aren't actually getting smoke to the meat.

I'd suggest smoking for an hour at 225* just for flavor.
Remove shanks and increase smoker to 300*
Then put shanks into a dutch oven with vegetables and liquids for 4 hours
Remove shanks and increase smoker to 425*
Return shanks directly to the smoker rack to crisp up for 20 minutes or so.

You can use make a gravy out of the leftover braising liquid.
Just add a bit of roux.

After first discovering this delectable dish in the best German Restaurant in NYC (The Heidelberg) years ago, I started to google/you tube the various preparations thinking which is best for a smoker. After 100 hours of video in both English and German (which I don't speak very well), I'm in agreement with Bergenguy as going with the simple traditional prep. Yes, I'd love to put those knuckles on one of the many different smokers I have BUT if you really looking to capture that true crispy Bavarian knuckle dynamic, stick to the slow roast, beer braise, 500 degree oven finish method. Maybe do a couple in the oven and a couple on the smoker to get a true comparison. If you chose to do so, please take pics!!

So, the meat is on the gas bbq, I've tried to cobble together a method based on your super helpful advice and what recipes I could find. I've dropped the offset and am going all gas on this one. Not super precious about being authentic, but I do want something that is at least sweinhaxe-ish, so I finally decided against the smoke.

So it's been on for 2 hrs at 130 C/267 F. Just a simple rub of salt, pepper and mortared caraway seeds. Sitting in a deep oven tray with beer, stock, the rub mix and stock, the covered with tin foil. Its at 50-60 C now, am going to go up to 90 C / 195 F or so, and then set aside for when we're eating this evening. Then Ill thread them on the rotisserie and do medium-high direct heat for the crackling.

Fingers crossed. Ill post again to let you know how they turn out

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_155524.jpg
    IMG_20210402_155524.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I'm in for the results! Sounds like you've got a solid plan and will be eating well tonight!

Looking good so far - I’m interested in this, as I’ve never prepared one, but I aways wind up eating a schweinshaxe when I’m in Bavaria - or Austria, the last one I had was on my last pre-covid vacation in northern Italy (which is more like southern Austria than Italy).

So, I ran out of time. 5h30 braise followed by rotisserie wasn't enough and I knew I took it off too early. But rather than facing the ravenous horde that is my family, I compromised and it showed. On the tough side.

Really happy with the flavour though. Went heavy on the caraway and it paid off. And lovely crackling.

I'll try this again with a bit more time. Reckon I should aim, for 7-8 hrs

Oh, and my rotisserie spit only takes three hocks ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_224615.jpg
    IMG_20210402_224615.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210402_181607.jpg
    IMG_20210402_181607.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210402_224048.jpg
    IMG_20210402_224048.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 34
Just to round off, here's the rest of my easter bbqing. Planked salmon for Easter eve and the big Easter Day leg of lamb currently in the smoker at c.a 130c/270f

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_110647.jpg
    IMG_20210404_110647.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210403_192412.jpg
    IMG_20210403_192412.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 30
Back