THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
I have never cooked or even eaten tritip before, but have heard how great it is for years now. It just isn't really available on the east coast, or at least around me, and a few days ago was the first time i've seen it in a store. Probably paid too way too much for it, but I had to try it.

Now I need to know how to cook and season it. From what I've read low and slow smoke isn't the way to go and it needs to go no more than medium. Should I still go low on the wsm until it hits 125 or so? Indirect or direct on the kettle? Rotisserie? Sous vide with herbs then sear? Microwave?

Does a normal brisket rub work or should I just do a simple SPG? Or something else?

I'll take any advice anyone has.

Thanks!

My go to method has been somewhere between a medium - hot and fast. I cook over either oak on a Santa Maria or charcoal in a kettle with the kettle being used the most often. I pile the coals to one side and place the meat right on the edge of the coals moving it either closer of further as it cooks. Takes about 20 mins for me to have it medium on the ends and medium rare toward the middle; keeps everyone happy.
For seasoning we like 'JK Western Pride Tri-Tip seasoning Santa Maria style' (14 oz / $7). You can buy it online direct from JK Western Foods or sometimes can be found at Von's, Albertsons and the like.
That's my .02

I just tried my first tri-tip. Originally was going to try to smoke it but I got busy and on another day did something similar to Viticulture’s kettle method. Cooked on indirect side with charcoal and some cherry chunks to 115 then seared on over the coals. I trimmed some fat cap off but not as much as I needed I think for the relatively quick cook time.

I also do indirect at first then hit it hard and hot at the end - DO NOT OVERCOOK!
Medium rare is perfect, it will get tough if you go too much.
Santa Maria rub is typical and I use Oakridge's and plenty of it.
It's expensive here - like $14 a pound, but it seems to be a denser meat like London Broil so one 2 pounder gives like 6 or 7 meals, so not too bad. The best thing is I got a gift card to Butcher's Alley in Bethesda so it doesn't hurt the wallet. They are spoiled out in Cali.

My preferred way is to cook it at lower temps and sear the last few minutes until about 125 internally. Let it rest and it should climb to around 130 sitting on the counter. It's not a cut where you want it rare.

The biggest suggestion is to watch the grain of the tritip. It will move around when you're slicing it. Just make sure you're going against the grain when slicing.

Tri tip is a staple in my home, I buy it wholesale by the 40lb case. My families preferred method (where they give the most compliments)

Cook indirect keeping the pit around 150-175, until IT reaches 100.

And then sous vide for 12+ hours. I used to sear in cast iron and butter baste, or lately to make my life easier I've been searing with the flame thrower, and put some clarified butter on it right after and let rest.

I use oak or pecan during the smoke.

It's a much longer cook obviously, so this one takes more planning vs just smoke until med rare, but family really really likes it, my daughter's (10 and 5) ask me for it almost weekly so who am I to deny their wishes?

Seasoning wise, I like SPG, but I've also done Spiceology Raspberry Chipotle (works great if you're doing tri tip tacos). My kids actually prefer the Raspberry Chipotle lol so usually I'll do one of each.

I sous vide at 135 because although I prefer it a touch more med rare (132) my wife and kids prefer it more medium (135).

I only recently (2020) started seeing it for a relatively good price in my area ($6.99/lb)

I been making it a lot since then, and i found that a nice coat of Carne Crosta and a quick sear on both sides, then low (wrapped in foil) (250F) till IT reaches 120F will end you somewhere between 130F-133F by the time its done resting and starts declining in temp. Thats the best time to slice.

20210626-014305.jpg

20210626-014826.jpg

Think of tri-tip as a big steak.

Sear the outside, inside needs to be medium rare.

Don't bother putting smoke on it. It's a lean cut and you really want the center pink.

I've been cooking that cut for 20 years now, living in SoCal where it's prevalent.

Season the way you want it, and again, treat it like a big steak.

I get the coals hot on the Weber, I'll cook the meat indirect on the opposite side of the grill, finish directly over the coals, searing all sides.

I sous vide in the Anova oven for several hours, then super hot sear.

Or season and sit in the fridge overnight to dry out the surface, cook it at low temp to about 10 degrees under target, then smokin hot sear to finish. Just depends on my mood. This method does give a better sear because the surface is nice and dry unlike sous vide.

I also do indirect at first then hit it hard and hot at the end - DO NOT OVERCOOK!
Medium rare is perfect, it will get tough if you go too much.
Santa Maria rub is typical and I use Oakridge's and plenty of it.
It's expensive here - like $14 a pound, but it seems to be a denser meat like London Broil so one 2 pounder gives like 6 or 7 meals, so not too bad. The best thing is I got a gift card to Butcher's Alley in Bethesda so it doesn't hurt the wallet. They are spoiled out in Cali.

Guess I should consider myself lucky that I found it for $7.99 a pound.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Have to say I surprised no one suggested the microwave option. :evil:

Sounds like indirect on the kettle wins so I'll do that and probably just toss a chunk of pecan on there too.

As long as it's not over or under-cooked Tri-tip is pretty forgiving.
Yours will turn out fine.
Just watch which way the grain runs while slicing across it.

I've been lucky in that tri-tip has always been available. For many years I did the end sear method and since they are in the 2 to 2.5lb range they are easy to manage. In the last couple couple of years, I've been cooking them sous vide @131 for 4+ hours, then resting an hour or so, then hot searing over hot coals. I do inject mine about 4 hours before cooking.

However..... The single best advice for tri-tip is to take a photo or make a sketch of the grain direction before you season it. There are two distinct grain directions in each roast. Then refer to this when slicing.

FjX6ngP.jpg

VxTbOWR.jpg

I’m going to talk blaspheme…Sometimes I do what everyone else is telling you to do. Sometimes if I get a prime, I smoke it like a brisket. Comes out wonderfully for just 4 of us.

Just me I guess...
I like to sear first and then go indirect to target temp.
My wife didn't want it cooked below 135 before the rest. So that's how I cooked em. Screwed up once with a prime TT and went to 151. Rested and sliced...And the darned thing was melt in your mouth. Some future experimenting showed me that searing first and the slightly overcooking it (by most peoples standards) made the tenderest end product. Just above 135 was my target. The wife loved it that way.

And slice it right like thirdeye showed ya.

Just me I guess...
I like to sear first and then go indirect to target temp.
My wife didn't want it cooked below 135 before the rest. So that's how I cooked em. Screwed up once with a prime TT and went to 151. Rested and sliced...And the darned thing was melt in your mouth. Some future experimenting showed me that searing first and the slightly overcooking it (by most peoples standards) made the tenderest end product. Just above 135 was my target. The wife loved it that way.

And slice it right like thirdeye showed ya.

Must have skipped past my post.

I cooked it for the first time this year. I reversed seared it and it turned out very good. I think I took it to about 120 on the indirect side and then did about a minute and a half each side over direct heat and then let it rest.

A number of ways to cook it. For me, one is not superior to the other - only different. Smoke it till it gets to about 115F and then reverse sear it. Cook it like a streak, and then at the end put it in a hot frying pan and baste with melted butter, garlic, and rosemary. If it is really big, like 3-4 lbs, you can cook it like brisket low and slow until it's about 200F. The "it's a steak" crowd will not approve of the brisket method - but, I've tried all of the above and every method will result in a really good finished product - just different.

I'm the minority here, I think it's far better if it's cooked to medium/medium well. I typically use my pyromid too cook it and it's done in 30 min. Doesn't matter how you cook it if you cut it wrong it will be chewy and terrible. If I'm not cooking on the pyromid I pull it closer to 130 and let it rest to come up to what I'd consider medium. I've smoked it a few times for a change, just prefer the hot and fast direct cooks more.

Back