School me on the snake method in Kettle

Bought a lot of lump on sale, and my wsm 18.5 rusted out at the lower air vents. So I made lemonade, moved the charcoal ring from the wsm into the 26.5, ran charcoal along the outside, 250-275 little h otter at wood chunks.

does anyone know why my direct link from imagur is so large? I haven't posted any pics since the whole photo bucket deal, I am new to imagur, but my past links never did that

Yeah, When you 1st sign in, There is a drop down that says auto resize. I click on 17" monitor size. It will auto resize your photos as you add them.

Also, when running a snake, I like to keep the coals tightly packed so they touch with good surface area to ignite.

Good Luck! :thumb:

I don't think I have ever heard of using the snake method with a WSM, I could be wrong.

I have been using a 22.5 WSM knock off for a year now, it works great, produces a insane smoke ring on all the meats, but with the snake method i am having a hard time reaching 300F. I can keep a steady 250F for 12 hours on a 1/4 bag of KBB which in my opinion is damn impressive. But getting up to 300F i feel i need to change the amount or the method.

Yeah, When you 1st sign in, There is a drop down that says auto resize. I click on 17" monitor size. It will auto resize your photos as you add them.

Also, when running a snake, I like to keep the coals tightly packed so they touch with good surface area to ignite.

Good Luck! :thumb:

yea, I got it figured out, I did it a different way though, when you select the picture, on the bottom it asks you "original size, and many others" I chose large thumbnail, for the pics you can see posted now.
Thanks Toast

I have been using a 22.5 WSM knock off for a year now, it works great, produces a insane smoke ring on all the meats, but with the snake method i am having a hard time reaching 300F. I can keep a steady 250F for 12 hours on a 1/4 bag of KBB which in my opinion is damn impressive. But getting up to 300F i feel i need to change the amount or the method.

probably the method. I am not familiar with WSM as I have never cooked on one. Hopefully someone will chime in with good information

I am just now putting some thought into your post, and in my experience smokers have a happy place, they want to run at a certain temp, I don't know why, but it is usually a lower temp than i want. It maybe just that.

are you running your vents wide open? How many coals are you running in your snake, you may need more, or one of those fans.

Top vent6 wide open, I am using a DigiQ to control temps. Its a steady 250F with a 3 base,2 , 1 row snake. I am thinking i need to make a coil wall so i can just pile the briquettes in and add the hot coals.

getting it going

7mk3NtSl.jpg
[/IMG]

SfurAXzl.jpg
[/IMG]

went ahead and threw my meat on when I got to 225, I got vent wide open and it is slowly climbing in temp, slower than I would have thought for such a small cooker. Kind of has me worried.

xHrIUzRl.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't think I have ever heard of using the snake method with a WSM, I could be wrong.

Yes snake will work, it's been done. I don't see the need. While Kettles tend to drift hotter with minion burn as the cook goes on the wsm seems to hold a bit more steady throughout.

Highly doubt it. I rarely get any worth while info on this forum.

I do all the time. It must be because your already so smart :cool:

Highly doubt it. I rarely get any worth while info on this forum.
"I have been using a 22.5 WSM knock off for a year now"
Since there are so many cheap cookers out there, each with their own quirks, it's hard to answer your question without more details. The Minion method is how most run their WSMs.
I've never run across a cooker that ran cool that wasn't short of intake and/or exhaust. You need more exhaust than intake, but with leaks around the lid on most cookers, intake is usually the issue. Try cooking without the Digi Q. It's designed to limit intake air.

went ahead and threw my meat on when I got to 225, I got vent wide open and it is slowly climbing in temp, slower than I would have thought for such a small cooker. Kind of has me worried.
The snake method is slow to warm up, for me. It's a matter of getting enough lit coals to establish a temp, then they light the unlit coals next to them. To work well, the charcoal needs to be in tight contact. That's why the pictures show things so neatly arranged.
snakemethod.jpg

I see, I have screwed up, should I be running with the bottom vent wide open? Do you think I should take it apart and start over?

I see, I have screwed up, should I be running with the bottom vent wide open? Do you think I should take it apart and start over?
It's a learning experience. I've had the setup you pictured work, the temps just won't be as stable because the amount of fuel available varies. That's why people talk about how many pieces in each layer for a given temp.
Open up the bottom vent till temps are about 25 deg too low, then start closing it up, if it's rising too fast.
Think of the snake method as a fuse, igniting more fuel as the old expires, with just enough lit to maintain the temp you want.

The beauty of the snake is it essentially keeps the same number of coals burning the whole time. To make it burn hotter, you need to add more lit coals at the beginning of the snake. 12 or 15 lit coals is hotter than 8 or 10 lit coals. You'll need to tweak it to the temp you're looking for.

My snake. 2x2 or 3x2 depending on outside temp, or what heat I want to produce. Stacked like tipped over dominoes to ensure even, consistent temperature and lighting. Wood chunks just far enough apart to keep them from igniting each other by flame jumping. Foil covered steel plate in the middle helps a lot in my opinion. It forces the airflow to go thru the charcoal for a clean burn and good drafting. I use 12-24 lit coals at the beginning depending on desired temp, outside temp, and size of meat load. Top vents always wide open, bottom vent varies from cracked to 1/2 open depending on desired temp.
b6wFY59l.jpg

Ok, I am 2hrs in and I got 395 showing on the lid, and 264 on grate therm, which is on the far side from the fire.. What y'all think?

WzoD3Y4l.jpg
[/IMG]

Back