THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kernscookin

Knows what a fatty is.
Last year we went out west on vacation and stopped at the 17th Street Grill, Neeleys and other BBQ places and they had the most amazing smoked sausages. I want to find some and smoke them but I don't know what the kind of sausage is that they use. My local butcher only carries regular breakfast and Italian sausage. Anyone got any suggestions on what they are called or where I can order them?

Hill Country hot links are the best. Gotta mail order or find a shipper though.

Kruetz Market in TX has the best.

Most, if not all those places make their own sausage.

We make our own also.

Any good polish or italian sausage smokes amazing well. :thumb:

Last year we went out west on vacation and stopped at the 17th Street Grill, Neeleys and other BBQ places and they had the most amazing smoked sausages. I want to find some and smoke them but I don't know what the kind of sausage is that they use. My local butcher only carries regular breakfast and Italian sausage. Anyone got any suggestions on what they are called or where I can order them?

Try this place - just read about them this morning. A little far from Dawsonville, but the prices for fresh are less than ordering and taking a drive probably less than the shipping, especially if you find a reason to be the area. Other options are to check out the Buford Hwy or DeKalb Farmers Markets.

Ask your butcher if he has kelbasa or polish sausage in natural casing either will take smoke well. I slow smoke them over Hickory till they start to split and MMMM GOOD

It's not too hard to make and stuff sausage at home and it tastes really fantastic. I've been doing it a couple years now and I totally love it - makes for great fatties too, if you don't stuff 'em.

It's not too hard to make and stuff sausage at home and it tastes really fantastic. I've been doing it a couple years now and I totally love it - makes for great fatties too, if you don't stuff 'em.
:thumb: I have tried a number of different recipes as well and it is easy to make a small batch to experiment. Still haven't found the perfect one yet. I picked up some Thai sausage from a local shop the other day and it was pretty good. Now I have to figure out what was in it.

I have helped my Dad make "country" sausage many times. But, it's more like Jimmy Deans (only better) than it is sausage links.

I am enrolling in a class my local butcher is holding on making sausage links. That class combined with my upcoming tour of BBQ Meccas in TX will hopefully put me on a good start to make some great BBQ sausage. I will post my findings when I'm done.

Back