THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good afternoon everyone,

Just recently got into smoking and bought a PBC. I have done a pork butt, chicken a few times and ribs a few times. I really like this thing and the results have been stellar every time. My dad is a huge rib snob. He will flat out tell you if he thinks they aren’t good. He said they were unbelievable (in the good way!).

I have had a Weber kettle for years. Also love it. I’ve enjoyed grilling for a long time. Haven’t tried smoking on it. It needs a new bottom vent, so I just use it for grilling.

I’m already thinking of my next smoker. I’m sure everyone has been in the same boat on this. Main reasons are capacity (when I’m able to, I like to have bbqs. Pit barrel is awesome but I would pretty much have to pick one thing. Like ribs or pork butt. Not both. Other reason, which may not be as big of a deal as I think, is temp control. Being able to go low and slow.

I was thinking either a mid grade offset like an Oklahoma joes highland or maybe a pellet grill. Like a camp chef woodwind or even an Oklahoma joes rider dlx. A big part of me is leaning toward offset because the pit barrel is already super easy to use. Then maybe upgrade to something nicer in a few years. On the other hand, pellet grill might get more use.

I’m not doing anything anytime real soon. Might not even be until next year. But I would like to save up some cash so I like to have a plan at least to some degree.

I would appreciate your opinions here. Doing nothing and sticking to the PBC is also on the table. Thanks guys!

The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning against pellet grill. Nothing at all wrong with them, but the PBC is already so easy. How hard would it be go to a high quality offset? Like if I used the PBC for a year or so, then upgraded to something in the 1500-2000 dollar range? Or would I be better off learning fire management on a cheaper offset? Like I said, no immediate decisions being made. Just looking for some opinions from guys with way more experience then me.

Thanks everyone!

First, a ~$100 gently used 22" WSM is a good option to expand your capacity cheaply.

Regarding an offset, My used Evie Mae was under your lower target price and I wouldn't take your upper limit for it either. If you are patient, you can score some awesome options for a really good price. New costs and a lot of people either upgrade or realize an offset is not for them so, they unload them fairly cheap occasionally.

Back