THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Also, if a contest already had 30 teams you were automatically put on a waiting list and unable to register for another contest. It should have asked if you would like to be added to the waiting list or register for a different contest.

This was in there, but what wasn't handled was re-checking once you hit submit. As a test I went to the registration page for a comp that had 30 teams and there was a message in a yellow box that told me that I would b put on the waiting list. BUT, If I had hit the registration page before number 30 was registered, the software didn't re-check and warn me. I would be put on the waiting list with no notice. It seems like half the job was done.

A lot of people called the KCBS office, but the office staff wasn't running the registration, MMA was. The office staff stayed late in case a member whose membership had expired could contact them to renew and then register. They had no control, over the registration process. Don't blame them.

There was a toll free number on the registration page. That's what I tried calling when I hit the already registered error. Did that go to MMA or KCBS? I think it went to KCBS.

Our server is located in a data center in St. Louis. They claim to have a 500 gbit backbone and servers are connected to a 100 mbit switch. These are the WAN providers they use:

Level 3 (4 x 10 GBit), GlobalCrossings (2 x 10 GBit), cogent (3 x 10 GBit + 2 x 10 GBit)

It's hard to say if the issue was bandwidth or if the server has enough compute power to handle the flood of connections. I tend to think it was probably the latter. The server just couldn't keep up. Not that much data was being transferred. We are in the process of upgrading to a new, more powerful server with a quadcore processor but we weren't able to get it done before the Sam's registration.

If you had a difficult time connecting, or got a lot of timeouts, open a command window and type this command.

tracert kcbs.us

That will tell you how many hops there are from your location to the server.

The 800 phone number goes to the KCBS office. MMA is in Tennessee.

Garry

It is all kinda like ticketmaster when the Rolling Stones go on tour. There are 30 spots that 60 people want. Someone ain't gonna make it in. Maybe they need to look at a system other than time sensitive on-line registration. May be more fair to everyone to get your name on the list and then have a drawing. Maybe throw first choice second choice in the mix to add some compliction to it. keith

One thing that I have not seen discussed in this thread is that there was no login/user verification required process to register, and that surprised me as I was registering.

All that was required was a KCBS member number.

That means that if someone with a similar member number to yours miskeyed their number (now matching yours) for a contest that you didn't want, then it would appear that they are not registered for a contest and you are subsequently blocked from registering because your member number has now already been registered.

Let's face it, from reading this forum it should be apparent that a lot of us suffer from fat finger syndrome!

This verification could be handled with something as simple as requiring your member number and associated zip code.

Level 3 (4 x 10 GBit), GlobalCrossings (2 x 10 GBit), cogent (3 x 10 GBit + 2 x 10 GBit)

That's why... No Cisco :rolleyes: :cool: :becky:

It's hard to say if the issue was bandwidth or if the server has enough compute power to handle the flood of connections. I tend to think it was probably the latter. The server just couldn't keep up. Not that much data was being transferred. We are in the process of upgrading to a new, more powerful server with a quadcore processor but we weren't able to get it done before the Sam's registration.

It just doesn't feel like a server or hosting data center issue. I would think that the results would be more consistent for everyone if the issue was there. I think the issue was probably a variety of problems that include bottlenecks in the cloud, local access, local PC speed, etc.

If you had a difficult time connecting, or got a lot of timeouts, open a command window and type this command.

tracert kcbs.us

That will tell you how many hops there are from your location to the server.

I didn't have problems, but...

12 hops.

The 800 phone number goes to the KCBS office. MMA is in Tennessee.

Then that's why people were calling the KCBS office. If they were supposed to be calling MMA then the MMA number should have been on that page.

Thanks for all of your analysis on this, Garry!

How about next year it is simplified by splitting the registration demands. For example...Region 5 event registrations open at Noon Eastern. Zone 4 and 3 at 2PM Eastern...Zone 2 at 4PM Eastern...Zone 1 at 5PM Eastern...or something along those lines so everyone isn't trying to crowd all at once.

And for the initial sign up to be signed up at all you have to pay. I don't get why there is 48 hour period for payment to be submitted.

By the way...I got into Greensboro without any issues on the 19th. Looking forward to see who else is there.

There are 5 contest that only need one more confirmation until we can see the participating teams. HURRY UP ALREADY:roll:

How about next year it is simplified by splitting the registration demands. For example...Region 5 event registrations open at Noon Eastern. Zone 4 and 3 at 2PM Eastern...Zone 2 at 4PM Eastern...Zone 1 at 5PM Eastern...or something along those lines so everyone isn't trying to crowd all at once.

That's not ideal either, as time goes on those with the later registration times not only have to compete with people in their area but they also need to compete with teams from other regions who didn't get into their contest and are willing to travel. While those in the last region won't have the opportunity for a second chance in a different region if their preferred choice fills up.

But it may work in some fashion since the contests are in regions and there won't be a large number of teams willing to travel great distances but we all know that there will be some. Perhaps having to declare your region before hand and not being allowed to sign up in a different region for the first 24 hours is one option. Or requiring a team to stay within the region and not allow them to travel.

Most solutions have downsides and few if any will make everyone happy. Gotta find the one that will satisfy the most though.

Sounds to me like the first step would be to utilize a properly coded application. Get that taken care of then make an assessment on whether or not there needs to be a major process change such as staggering registrations.

Most solutions have downsides and few if any will make everyone happy. Gotta find the one that will satisfy the most though.

Quite honestly, Sam's is putting up a lot of money for this and therefor they are the only one that needs to be the happy with what happens, otherwise there may not be a next year.

Every other contest people are concerned about what portion of entry fees are being retuned in the prize pool. Here the prize pool greatly exceeds the entry fees. In the local conests alone, there are 25 competitions each with $7,500 in entry fees, each paying out $10,000 in prizes. And it only gets better from there.

If someone didn't get in this year, there may always be next year. And if you didn't get in and there is another contest around that weekend for you, then your chances at that other one, which may be a qualifier, may have just gone up.

Let's not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Last edited:
There are 5 contest that only need one more confirmation until we can see the participating teams. HURRY UP ALREADY:roll:

There has been one team in Dallas since the initial registration, must have mailed in a check....

And as an FYI - with the carriers listed, there will be some Cisco hardware in there somewhere. Cisco is not an upstream provider.

I tried signing up for Lenexa. At 7:02 I got the FIRST error message of the evening. At 7:03 I was on the phone with the KCBS office. I signed up SIX times during a 23 minute period with Kelly Cain on the phone with me the entire time, still receiving the error message. (The office can only do so much, no blame there.) Brent tried signing me up TWICE from his workplace, he got the same message. We each then tried again and it was full.

If the issue was taken care of in 11 minutes then what happened? We'll never know. One thing I DO know is that I filled out the form on KCBS.us and the response was emailed this evening. 50% off the entry to another Sams event. Yeah, because $125 will cover the expense of going to Baton Rouge! Far cry from the 2 1/2 ride to Des Moines!

Sour grapes? Nah. Disappointed. UNDERSTATEMENT. There could have and should have been a better resolution to this fiasco.
I will be at Lenexa, cheering on my buddies and Slabs of Approval! I hope someone starts up a potluck!

Does anyone know if KCBS is going to be closing the payment window on teams tonight?

Now should be 48 hours since those teams that first signed up got in. 3 are still unconfirmed for marietta...wondering if the waiting list might get a shot tonight.

Well according to the KCBS rules, teams must confirm withing the first 48 hours of registration. After the 48 hours, the team is dropped and the event opening is offered to the first team on the waiting list. Of course these teams only get 24 hours to respond and pay but I guess it's better than not being asked. Anyway, I was told by KCBS Dawn Endrijaitis that our team is the first on the list to be called as a stand by. I checked 5 minutes ago and it still shows only 29 teams confirmed for the Madison event. Well that means we are in because it's 1:41 hour past the registration time. We will see if KCBS goes by the rules or makes some type of change for some reason. I haven't gotten an email or a text or anything as of yet. I even emailed Dawn and left a message on facebook but still no response. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Well just got an email from KCBS and was offered the spot in the Madison event. Well needless to say, Pork Patrol BBQ will be attending the Sam's event in Madison, Wi. Can't wait.

There are now 14 locals that have openings. If you don't confirm payment you get dropped even if no wait list. Kudos to kcbs and mma on this.

Back