THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last year, at the inaugural Sam's Club event, on Friday everyone was looking around uneasily and saying, "Somebody here's going to be DAL, and it's going to be a team that it's never happened to, or who isn't exactly used to it." And I'm sure everyone silently added, "Don't let it be me!"

When all was said and done, the score at the bottom of the field would have WON many contests. In an invitational series, even if you're DAL, there's another team that didn't get in who would have loved to be there. Go, cook, do your best, there's nothing but honor in the effort.
Last year at the Butt to Butt in Shannon I came in DAL. :shocked::doh::oops::bow: The way they did awards, only 2 people were left standing out of the group of us who were in it: the one whose name was called would be the winner, the other would be DAL. Probably the most embarrassing moment of my bbq career. But I survived and now I figure that's probably the worst it will ever get. And it didn't kill me, so it must have made me stronger.
So I got that going for me. :laugh: :thumb:

Probably because of that idiot that got your meat for ya!!! Although it seemed to work the next day. I must of mixed up mine meat with yours!!! :becky:

Last year at the Butt to Butt in Shannon I came in DAL. :shocked::doh::oops::bow: The way they did awards, only 2 people were left standing out of the group of us who were in it: the one whose name was called would be the winner, the other would be DAL. Probably the most embarrassing moment of my bbq career. But I survived and now I figure that's probably the worst it will ever get. And it didn't kill me, so it must have made me stronger.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
In the interest of full disclosure - my team, Rolling Bones (AKA The Rolling Bones Traveling BBQ Circus) is currently ranked 9th in Sacramento. Frankly we're WAY overrated...probably ought to be closer to 25th. :redface:

Our picks came in second overall in the Havasu practice round, just missed taking the whole thing...I know what I'm talking about! :thumb:

Seriously, thanks for putting this together!!! :clap2:

Cheers,

David
Pit Monkey DeLuxe
Rolling Bones Traveling BBQ Circus

BGE X3
WSM
Rock's Stoker
Thermanpen
Whole bunch of other stuff we don't really need

Last year, at the inaugural Sam's Club event, on Friday everyone was looking around uneasily and saying, "Somebody here's going to be DAL, and it's going to be a team that it's never happened to, or who isn't exactly used to it." And I'm sure everyone silently added, "Don't let it be me!"

When all was said and done, the score at the bottom of the field would have WON many contests. In an invitational series, even if you're DAL, there's another team that didn't get in who would have loved to be there. Go, cook, do your best, there's nothing but honor in the effort.

I remember having that feeling at the Jack last year. With this thing, its basically a crapshoot, anyone on any weekend..........

Video

If anybody has video of this event you are strongly encouraged to post the link. Then we can start formulating our top 10 BBQ Video Debacles of All-Time.

3. Kosmos Q (if there is video...we need it)
Video: Late turn-in costing championship
2. Swamp Boys (Rub)
Video: Butt to Butt calls and standing on stage with nobody to dance with.
1. Cool Smoke (Tuffy)
Video: Taking out the turn-in table with his nano-second late brisket and then the "discussion heard round the bbq world".

That would awesome.

If anybody has video of this event you are strongly encouraged to post the link. Then we can start formulating our top 10 BBQ Video Debacles of All-Time.

3. Kosmos Q (if there is video...we need it)
Video: Late turn-in costing championship
2. Swamp Boys (Rub)
Video: Butt to Butt calls and standing on stage with nobody to dance with.
1. Cool Smoke (Tuffy)
Video: Taking out the turn-in table with his nano-second late brisket and then the "discussion heard round the bbq world".

That would awesome.
Lol, you suck! :moon:

Many thanks for having us finishing 3rd in Region 5 - Greensboro! While we appreciate the accolades, it is our humble opinion that there are MANY other teams deserving of winning or even finsihing above 3rd place. This will be an interesting contest without a doubt.

Roger, you are too modest. Pickin' Porkers has every opportunity to be GC. Now me...I am showing everyone around that I was #2 ranked in Chesapeake and actually listed as making it out of NY as well. I am known to be a very inconsistent cook and realize I am probably more likely to not even make it out of Chesapeake. Enjoying it while I can.

I hope to see you and Marsha in Edenton.

Whew - made it all the way through 24 pages. Only took me 2 visits over 2 days! Not sure if I'll have the time to participate but am certainly up for a donation. Very cool idea! Will be fun to do for other events.

Hello Brethren! Been away from the forum for a while trying to get my business out from under this crappy economy. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this BBQ season. We are on the waiting list for Pittsburgh but getting ready for Run for the Ribs in Louisville. Happy Smokin'!

Region 5: Greensboro, NC
1. Moonswiners - could win if this is the real deal(if this is the real moonswiners, if not screamin Nite Hog moves in).
2. Bub-Ba-Q Too - could win if this is the real deal. (If this has no relation to Bub-Ba-Q from GA remove and Up in Smoke gets in).
3. Pickin' Porkers
4. P&D's BBQ
5. BS Pitmeisters
6. Tarheel Smokers
7. Two Old Men and a Grill
8. CAROLINA BBQ CO
9. Beer Meets Grill
10. Smoke This
11. Screamin Nite Hog BBQ
12. Up in $moke BBQ Team
13. Crow Creek BBQ
14. Smokin' Peaches
15. A taste of Carolina
16. Fast Eddie's Fine Swine
17. Ash Kickers BBQ
18. RiXCue
19. Smoke-N-My-I's Competition BBQ
20. Taterbugs
21. ApexBBQ
22. Appalachian Smoke
23. Stoke & Smoke BBQ
24. Big Guns BBQ
25. The Smokehouse Mafia
26. ernie's bbq
27. The Smokin' Bubba
28. old buck's bbq
29. FlameMaster G's BBQ
30. The SmokeHouse Bandits!!!
[/QUOTE]

As with many people, it is a guess which teams will finish where in these contests and I am no different in guessing how the top 10 will shake out in this region. I firmly feel that the real winner will come from a group including numbers 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, & 11. I would say also #8 but vending AND competing is tough to do. They probably are not vending here. I doubt Sam’s will allow that.

Admittedly, I know little about the other teams except #14...DON'T count this girl out.....she'll sneak up on ya and whip ya butt. Other than that, I would not even attempt to guess the top 10 so this is really interesting! We'll be tickled to be in the top 10 and not worried about a win. This cook is only 35 minutes from my house so we're thrilled to be so close to home.

Bubba is pretty strong and when you consider last years KCBS rankings of the top 3 guesses above, you have to consider last years performance.

Overall::: Moonswiners 217::: Bubba Q 11::: Pickin’ Porkers 46
Chicken::: Moonswiners 340::: Bubba Q::: 12 Pickin’ Porkers 69
Ribs::: Moonswiners 428::: Bubba Q 26::: Pickin’ Porkers 110
Pork::: Moonswiners 243::: Bubba Q 15::: Pickin’ Porkers 13
Brisket::: Moonswiners 217::: Bubba Q 1::: Pickin’ Porkers 65

I AM a gambling man and know where I'd lay my money down....LOL

Back