THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AWilliams

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
SoCal
Well, I've made a ton of BB's with various rubs. Some home made as well as SM, Killer Hogs, Sucklebusters, and many more. Tomorrow I will try simply S&P ribs on my Stampede. Anything I should be aware of? 50/50 mix or some other ratio? Fresh cracked or already ground pepper is good enough? Go light or go heavy? Thanks

We love them this way. 50/50 is good, medium coating. Or, light course salt, medium coating 16 mesh black pepper.

50/50 by weight, as by volume is way too salty for us.
Doing this on two slabs tomorrow myself. We prefer the simplicity of the salt, pepper, and pecan smoke. I use sea salt, and the "Restaurant" ground black pepper from Sam's.
By weight only.

I like to season with salt and pepper separately instead of making a rub. First season liberally with course salt. I use course sea salt. Then with course black pepper. That way I get even and heavy coverage. It just works out that way. That was basically what I did with a rack of spares last weekend on my Stampede but also added some garlic and paprika.

The Stampede is a great rib cooker. Enjoy the cook and post plenty pics.

Thanks guys...any spritz or run em' dry? Sometimes I'll spritz with ACV..most times not. Sauce at the end?

I spritz with a vinegar/water mixture. type of vinegar varies, depending on what I have the most of. Right now, my spray bottle has rice wine vinegar. I also dissolve a bit of sugar in it every now and then. I am also known to spritz with 409 (long story- alcohol was involved, accidental. Not recommended.

S&P is hard to beat...

Don’t mix in the same bottle, coverage is never right...

50/50 by weight of kosher salt and course ground pepper is my favorite rub for ribs.

On spares and tips I like 1/3 kosher salt to 2/3 medium grind pepper. Baby backs are hardy enough to take 50/50. I tend to dust a little chili powder over the top on one side just for a little color and kick. I basically don't use any other pork rub these days.

Back