Salmon patty question???

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
When I was a kid my Mom would fry salmon patties.She used canned salmon.I loved them.I have no idea what she put in them,I was a kid.I have tried to replicate it numerous times and the ones I make just are not there(YUCK).She always served them with hot homemade buttermilk biscuits ,gravy and rice.I don't know if it is the biscuits,gravy and rice I remember so fondly or the salmon patties.I was just wondering if anyone had used a cooked on the grill/ smoker to cook fresh/ frozen salmon instead of canned salmon and made patties out of them and if so what you used to make the fried patties? Looking for a little nostalgia here.Epic childhood meals to comfort in trying times.Any other ones you remember as a child? Please share.

It was similar to crab patties. Although we used fresh salmon. But that was before salmon was $10/lb.

Are you trying to use canned or fresh? I can give you 2 completely different recipes that are night and day.

Was your mom Irish? I took an Irish cooking class about 10 years ago and we made these using canned salmon.

Look up Irish salmon cakes
Here is a link to an Irish recipe that uses canned salmon. https://www.irishamericanmom.com/budget-friendly-salmon-fish-cakes/

While you are at it make colcannon. It was my favorite thing in the class, second to lamb stew. https://boulderlocavore.com/authentic-irish-colcannon-st-patricks-day/

Here is a lamb stew recipe. https://www.bordbia.ie/lifestyle/all-recipes/irish-stew/
Lamb is either perfect or it sucks.

Damn, now I want some Guinness!

My grandma used to make them. Sometimes with canned tuna instead. Crushed saltines, a couple eggs, and some green/white onion if you like. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Form into patties and fry em up in vegetable oil! Good eating.

I was always a salmon patty fan but my mom would do box mac n cheese (yuck) and canned peas. I use both canned and fresh for making patties. However when I use fresh, I like to "undercook" the salmon a little. It seems to make the patties a little moister.

My favorite comfort food is fried fish. We only had it a few times a year when I was a kid.
Nother thing I remember my mom making is white gravy with leftover beef or some other kind of meat in it, to serve over toast. Also, deer meat with mushroom gravy in the pressure cooker, served with mashed potatoes.

I would go with 4 oz fresh, or canned cooked salmon, 1/8 cup mayo, 1/2 tsp mustard (yellow, or brown) 1 tsp dried dill, 1/8 cup seasoned bread crumbs, 1 egg white.

Form patties, coat in seasoned bread crumbs, sear in buttered pan for two minutes per side or until browned.

I loved fried Salmon Patties as a youngster. My mom would buy the cans of "Pink Salmon" which was slightly milder in flavor.

I also loved Goulash with elbow macaroni, can't duplicate it. Sloppy-Joes also had a great taste, not so much now.

I also remember tomato soup cake when eggs and shortening were not always readily available.

I still yearn for these memories of great tastes......

I loved fried Salmon Patties as a youngster. My mom would buy the cans of "Pink Salmon" which was slightly milder in flavor.

I also loved Goulash with elbow macaroni, can't duplicate it. Sloppy-Joes also had a great taste, not so much now.

I also remember tomato soup cake when eggs and shortening were not always readily available.

I still yearn for these memories of great tastes......

The Goulash I grew up on

Last edited:
It was similar to crab patties. Although we used fresh salmon. But that was before salmon was $10/lb.

Are you trying to use canned or fresh? I can give you 2 completely different recipes that are night and day.

She used canned.That is what I have tried with terrible results.Thanks.

The Goulash I grew up on

Thanks, I'm going to try it, sounds pretty close to what i recall.

I am not saying that recipe isn't delicious. But i have never seen a or eaten a Goulash without Paprika. Its pretty much the main ingredient.

At a time after the war when food was still scarce, people made the best of what they had, or could get at the store. It took some time for the consumer economy to recover.

They gave names like "Goulash" to low budget meals, when it wasn't anything like the real dish. It gave them hopes for better times when providing for their families.

While the real Hungarian Goulash is made with plenty of paprika and chunks of meat and vegetables.
enhance

These old favorites were dishes of invention and necessity in times of economic struggles.

Whenever I grill salmon I make extra for croquettes. Well seasoned and well done. Crumble them about the size you’d see in crab cakes. I season the pretty well and like to add a white cheese and mild chopped green chile. Thickness is not as important to me as a good crust. I’ve fried in butter, bacon grease and a shot of Pam. Been a while on Pam though. Bacon grease and butter are both great. I’ve used everything for the breading, crackers, goldfish, ritz etc etc. I like giving them a light coating of Panko.

But yes, cooked fresh salmon is outstanding for croquettes

Thanks, I'm going to try it, sounds pretty close to what i recall.

At a time after the war when food was still scarce, people made the best of what they had, or could get at the store. It took some time for the consumer economy to recover.

They gave names like "Goulash" to low budget meals, when it wasn't anything like the real dish. It gave them hopes for better times when providing for their families.

While the real Hungarian Goulash is made with plenty of paprika and chunks of meat and vegetables.
enhance

These old favorites were dishes of invention and necessity in times of economic struggles.

That looks delicious!!!

When I was a kid my Mom would fry salmon patties.She used canned salmon.I loved them.I have no idea what she put in them,I was a kid.I have tried to replicate it numerous times and the ones I make just are not there(YUCK).She always served them with hot homemade buttermilk biscuits ,gravy and rice.I don't know if it is the biscuits,gravy and rice I remember so fondly or the salmon patties.I was just wondering if anyone had used a cooked on the grill/ smoker to cook fresh/ frozen salmon instead of canned salmon and made patties out of them and if so what you used to make the fried patties? Looking for a little nostalgia here.Epic childhood meals to comfort in trying times.Any other ones you remember as a child? Please share.

54aN7dY.jpg

Here is Mrs ~t~'s recipe for salmon patties. We bake the salmon in the oven, but I don't know why you couldn't cook on a grill. BTW, these freeze wonderfully. I've also used walleye instead of salmon. A friend adds some diced celery and shredded carrot to this recipe, and he uses a store bought "fish fry", the cornmeal based kind, for the coating before the final saute.

Salmon Patties

2lb. Salmon filet – skin on preferred
2 to 3 tsp Badia Complete Seasoning

Place salmon filet on foil lined baking sheet. Season with Badia Complete seasoning. Bake in 350 degree oven until fish temp reaches 150 degrees. Do not turn. Allow to cool and then flake into a large bowl.

Salmon Cake Mixture
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2T. dried chives
1 T. lemon juice
1 to 2 tsp Badia Complete seasoning
1/2 cup panko crumbs
2T. egg beaters (or just enough to moisten after adding Panko)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Additional Panko (or fish fry) for coating after cakes are formed

To the flaked salmon add onion, chives, lemon juice and 1 to 2 teaspoons Badia Complete seasoning. Mix well. Add ½ cup panko and ¼ cup mayonnaise and mix to moisten fish mixture. Add enough egg beaters to achieve a stickiness to make mixture stick together. DO NOT USE TOO MANY PANKO CRUMBS or you will lose the fish flavor. Shape into patties, then press formed patties press lightly into additional panko for coating. They will not be fully covered with breading, just a light dusting. At this point the patties can be frozen or refrigerated on a plate before cooking.

Cooking
Heat a lightly oiled pan to medium to medium high heat and saute until golden. May be kept warm in a 250 degree oven for 15- 20 minutes.

Canned pink salmon with bones and skin removed mixed with 1 or 2 beaten eggs, little flour and cornmeal to a consistency you like, I prefer more corn meal than flour , fry in cast iron skillet in about 1/4 in of canola oil. Drain on paper towels. Make some gravy and biscuits and you’re set.

The salmon patties I grew up with:
1 can salmon drained
1/2 sleeve saltine crackers crushed
1/2 diced onion
2 eggs

Mix everything together, form into patties and fry in oil.

Canned pink salmon with bones and skin removed mixed with 1 or 2 beaten eggs, little flour and cornmeal to a consistency you like, I prefer more corn meal than flour , fry in cast iron skillet in about 1/4 in of canola oil. Drain on paper towels. Make some gravy and biscuits and you’re set.

Those are pretty much what I grew up eating as a kid. :grin:
I make them with my home canned smoked salmon now. Brings back good memories!!

Can’t help ya Hoss, but I will say at some point, I hope you NAIL it and it brings back a flood of memories.

Back