THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's over 200 miles between Greencastle and Lanexa. I'm not sure asking Lanexa to change dates because of that distance is realistic.

So you think Go Naked should change then. Or just have them the same day and let them split the folks who are equidistant. Yeah that's a good idea.

I'll be back as long as it is that 1st weekend again in April. It was a well ran and hosted BBQ event IMO. And the sites and scenery really made it even better.

If you take out Lanexa last weekend, it's a 400+ mile ride for me to go to a KCBS contest. Lanexa does fill a void for us in the middle of the East coast.

We definitely enjoyed judging at this event and it was very well organized. As others have said, the site and facilities were perfect. We'll definitely try to judge again!

Congrats to all who got called!

-Frank

It's over 200 miles between Greencastle and Lanexa. I'm not sure asking Lanexa to change dates because of that distance is realistic.

It's also the week before Triple Threat, which is why I was tempted to drive down to the mid-Atlantic and cook both. For that perspective, it's a perfect date.

So you think Go Naked should change then. Or just have them the same day and let them split the folks who are equidistant. Yeah that's a good idea.
There are clearly enough teams in the region to support both events as evidenced by both events selling out.

There are clearly enough teams in the region to support both events as evidenced by both events selling out.

You're missing the point I was trying to make. Some folks would actually like to do both, not one or the other. I am well aware they both sold out. Late March/early April there are not many options, and with the latest cnx there's getting be even less later in the year. I was merely suggesting that it would be nice to spread out those events if possible. My opinion is, of course, worth pretty much zero though I'll just retract the suggestion.

If there is that much interest, maybe Lanexa could schedule a second event later in the year.

Personally I don't see the problem with the two events on the same date. I like the guys at Mason Dixon just fine and did a lot of business with them last year, but the Iron Man is not my thing. I'd do it if I did not have anything else to do that weekend, but the Iron Man is not my first choice of events.

You're missing the point I was trying to make. Some folks would actually like to do both, not one or the other. I am well aware they both sold out. Late March/early April there are not many options, and with the latest cnx there's getting be even less later in the year. I was merely suggesting that it would be nice to spread out those events if possible. My opinion is, of course, worth pretty much zero though I'll just retract the suggestion.
April is tough for scheduling - where is Lanexa going to go? March? Weather is iffy at best. The elephant in the room is Triple Threat and then you have Easter. With Easter varying between weekends that really only leaves the 1st weekend until you run into the May full schedule.

I understand your point Kit, but as pointed out it is a tough time of year to fit comps in between the cold weather and the full-tilt BBQ season. I would like to do both, but I will take the one that gets me points any day over a non-KCBS event.

With Go Naked NOT a KCBS event, KCBS agreed to the date suggest by the contest organizers and none of us knew about it going forward as a possible issue /conflict. As pointed out a major difference on travel between the two so even had I known when I met with them to discuss I would not even have considered it a concern. Looking at the events we track for MABA we have several events on same weekends during the year. Granted some of these I will quickly mention are no more but Palmyra conflicted with DC Safeway and Galax conflicted with Louisa. Also being missed is this is a weekend they host a well attended Blue Grass Festival that is established already. So I do not foresee changing the date. Nor would I expect Go Naked to do so either. I do know Lanexa can look to expand into more teams in 2015 for Lanexa as they have the room to double the size just about. I think both can be held on same day as others have stated and people can choose just like they do when there may be two or three events on same weekend within driving distance as to which they choose to go to. Stick with one you like or rotate around from year to year.

My $.02: While I would really like to try the Go Naked, the Lanexa event seemed a better fit for us. Given the accommodations for the first time, but, never having been to the Go Naked, I would still attend the Lanexa event if I had to pick between the two.

Having full hook-ups, solid power, extra clean bathrooms/showers, camp stores, diners, etc..., it helps me/us in the decision making.

Like I always say, getting old is heck.........

wallace

I do know Lanexa can look to expand into more teams in 2015 for Lanexa as they have the room to double the size just about. I think both can be held on same day as others have stated and people can choose just like they do when there may be two or three events on same weekend within driving distance as to which they choose to go to. Stick with one you like or rotate around from year to year.

I sure hope they don't double the teams and take away all that room we had :becky: Plus where are those RV-ers going to cruise in their golf carts if we take their space away? I feel the organizer wanted exposure for his very nice RV/Camping site (which I think he got) more than establishing a huge BBQ comp.

I am sorry but you misread my post. I did not mean to imply they were GOING to double the event size, only that they have the space to do so. I would expect the numbers to go up slightly as everyone seems to have liked the set up. Double? I doubt it. Space to do so? Yes. They may even find a number to cap it at as they also have the blue grass concert attendees to accommodate.

Someone also mentioned the restaurant on site - I was also told it was top notch Italian food. Strange where one can find such places out of the way and unheard of. Was told of a terrific seafood place in an abandoned garage near a contest one time. And it was terrific. Place looked like a old abandoned garage/gas station outside, but inside was surprising and the food great.

Back