THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
We launched our Gourmet Cooking Salt line of products on July 1, 2016.
We launched with 3 initial products that featured Citrus/Herbs blended with high end sea salt and the positive feedback and response has exceeded our expectations.

Since we launched we have always known we were going to offer a high quality, additive-free Dry Brine product (as well as a couple of other surprises up our sleeve).
Our Dry Brine has been in development and we are finally getting close to launching it (tentative date: Sept. 1, 2016)

So last night was a test cook using a whole organic, free range chicken (not previously pumped full of saline and other "natural flavors")

This was a 5.96 lb bird and it was dry brined with our new product for 24 hours.
The application of the dry brine was just like any rub you would use.

Amount of Dry Brine: 2 Tbs for 6lbs of bird.

Once it was rubbed with the brine it went into a bag and into the fridge for an overnight nap.

picture.php

During the 24 hour period, the chicken was flipped once and massaged to help distribute the (no longer dry) brine.

This is what is looked like when it emerged out of the bag.

picture.php

I then let it air dry for about an hour while I set up the Weber for indirect chicken cooking.

Note: The chicken was not rinsed and no other seasonings were added post brine.

This is a progress shot shortly after the asparagus was added.

picture.php

Close-up:

picture.php

Sliced:

picture.php

The moisture on these white meat slices is all from internal juices post-slice (after a 30 min rest)

picture.php

Plated shot (an afterthought really, not plated to impress)

picture.php

Overall impressions:
Easiest and most flavorful brine I have ever used.
Period.
The white meat and dark meat both were very juicy and succulent.

I can't yet identify the ingredients in this brine, but I can tell you it uses our Sea Salt and 3 other simple ingredients (hint: none of them in our current offerings)

In our testing it has been found to work beautifully on Turkey, Chicken and Pork.

:clap2:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this technique, I've never done a dry brine but will after seeing your results.

I did two spatch cooked bake/smoke birds on my weber yesterday. I did a simple brine with salt and garlic power overnight. Didn’t rinse the birds and added some Shapley’s seasoning and pepper and a little cajun seasoning.I don’t watch temps much when i do the weber, I know it will start hot and then settle. It reminded me WHY I NEED to brine my birds. They were wonderful. My son wanted the recipe and I couldnt give it to him. I said a brine, little this little that, throw on weber and go check in an hour and ever half hour after that till done......Didn’t mean to get so longwinded, just reminded me how much BRINE means on birds. Beautiful pics BTW.....great looking food.

Do you think the chicken sitter made any difference in the final product as well?

That's a great question!

I have used a similar chicken sitter for a long time, so I can certainly attest to the positive difference the Dry Brine made over previous cooks.

I have brined my poultry for probably the last 10 years, but mostly with wet brines. The Dry Brine is a step up from that, using the same cooking techniques and equipment.
However I should cook a bird that has been dry brined in a different configuration, just to see what the results are.

Besides standing up on a sitter, I also cook poultry in a V-shaped roasting rack, I will cook one up that way as well, it will be a good exercise I think.

Thanks for the input!

Back