THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was a new term for me too.

How does Cadillac cut ribs score in comps compared to regular cuts, this might be something I should try. Also does it look good in a presentation box compared to regular?

I rarely see them come across the table when judging, but when I do the general consensus at the table is pretty favorable. Getting clean cuts and arranging them in a pleasing, appetizing manner does seem to be a challenge however.

I would rather get big meaty ribs and do a regular cut. I wanna make sure they get a bite of meat from right next to the bone. Bones = Flavor. Just my opinion.

Also known as the "Hollywood" Cut.

I originally cut my ribs this way for competition but have switched back to the normal cut.

I would rather get as many ribs as I can from the same rack. There's no way you can get 6 "cadillac" cut ribs from 1 rack, sometimes I would have to use ribs from 3 or 4 racks to get ribs that were all comparable.

I noticed my rib scores (with the standard cut) are much more consistant when pulling from 1 or 2 racks and I think they look better for presentation as well.

AH, OK. Seeing the picture, it all makes sense.

Take 3 ribs uncut, and trim off the outer bones; end up with a super meaty single rib.

Thanks everyone- this is exactly why I love this place. :thumb:

It is very useful to cut this way in IBCA, but I haven't had a need to do it in KCBS. I like to get one perfect slab cut regular for my box. This year I have 2 1sts and 3 2nds in ribs.

I have always called it hungry man's cut. Rather or not I do it depends upon how many good racks I have to choose from because it does take at least three racks most of the time for me and if I have a couple of racks not do so well, then....drop back and punt.

I guess the only negative with this cut is finding like size pieces, that's why I mentioned it always takes 2 racks and sometimes 3. Also when you present them like I did the box is sometimes difficult to close too. Our ribs are hit or miss, sometimes they're dead on and sometimes they're not. I'm considering switching to a regular cut and presenting 1 single rack in the box, after the Royal of course:becky:

I did this at the last competition I was in and scored 2nd in ribs. The ribs were pretty good too though. It was the first time I had done it. It really made cutting them simple because the bones are the guides. It did take 3 racks to get enough that looked alike for box though. :-D

Back