THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JM that whole meal looks fabulous. i too love cast iron seared steaks because it gives a very nice crust to the steak. however, i like getting the smokey charcoal flover o\when cooking on the grill so there is nothing wrong with putting that cast iron pan on the grill grate and letting here rock for a nice sear and finishing the steak on indirect heat. works great. howevefr alton brown's method of cooking a steak here (in this case porterhouse) has produced for me the best cryst and char i have ever gotten on a steak: YouTube - ‪Good Eats S14E01 Porterhouse Rules 3 of 3‬‏

the one problem is that some residue from the charcoal did end up on the steak and added an unwelcome gritty texture. however this was not enough to ruin the steak as long as you bang the chimney on the cement to get out the ash. i have not tried it with lump which would presumably be an even cleaner cook. the method produces an amazingly juicy and crusty steak. word of advice though is to make sure you dont go over his time limits even by a couple of seconds or you will end up with a medium to well done steak. if you do, give it to your gf:laugh:

Back