THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Being a dedicated lump guy it's unlikely I'll try the new stuff, but your report was really interesting. Thanks John.

You've already recieved a lot of kudos for your reseaech, but not enough for all that you did. Great job! Funny thing is that I had just heard about the new Kingsford, inas my winter supply is dwindling down, your info is very timely for me.
Thanks again!.

I think my next review might be "blue bag" Kingsford vs. their Competition (which I love). That would be interesting.

John
I can't wait!

I think your review helps explain the start up of my Spicewine a couple of weeks ago....getting up to cooking temp ran about 45 minutes behind what it normally takes, part of that may have been attributed to the cold conditions, but I had taken a weed burner and warmed the inside of both cabinets first.

Thanks for sharing! The whole process of producing charcoal is very interesting. My guess is that Kingsford figured out an economical way to produce a denser briquette ( longer burn time) while reducing the water ( hotter burn ) in it. A denser product will take longer to get up to speed but as your graph shows once lit will grow and grow outperforming its previous heavier composition. In addition - I don't know if they claim it on the package but its probably a cleaner burning charcoal. Some of you may have used or heard about coconut charcoal - made from the shell of coconut. I just read an article that stated the carbon in Coconut charcoal is as high as 88% compared to a high quality regular charcoal which registers closer to 77%. Thanks again for the post!

Finally got around to trying a bag of the "new" Kingsford. I know this is an older post but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the smell of the new stuff when lighting. It smells like wood smoke coming out of the chimney, not a chemical fire.

I didn't like the smell of the old blue bag charcoal nor the taste it left on the meat. I'll give this formulation a try in the smoker in a few weeks.

Finally got around to trying a bag of the "new" Kingsford. I know this is an older post but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the smell of the new stuff when lighting. It smells like wood smoke coming out of the chimney, not a chemical fire.

I didn't like the smell of the old blue bag charcoal nor the taste it left on the meat. I'll give this formulation a try in the smoker in a few weeks.
You're right, Earl. I should have mentioned that in the review. The new stuff definitely smells much more natural.

John

Back