THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigfork

Found some matches.
Greetings Forum!
I haven't posted here in a few years... that said, I still ghost about, gleaning information as needed:wink:.

This is my second RF build. The first one had over a 10k cubic in cook chamber and gobbled a bag and a half of briquettes for a 8 hour smoke. It works great but is crazy overkill for the Mrs, pipsqueak, and myself.

Enter my 2nd build. Smaller, more efficient, less charcoal= less work.
The picture shows the first test fire. It obviously needs a rolling stand (tripod style), a sandblast, and a finish paint.
Here's my numbers:
Fire Box (FB) 12x12 cylinder
Cook Chamber (CC) 18x14.5 cylinder (CC little smaller than the recommended FB to CC ratio. I'm not worried about it. Slightly small CC-FB is better than too big)

I used the Feldon's Pit Calculator to conjure up my numbers.

So the results: The thing rocks! Much less coals to keep steady temps. I do have one question for the community. The calculator said if I use 2" tube stock for chimney, it needs to be 21.6 inches long. You can see the chimney in the pic. So during the two test fires I've done, I was achieving proper temps (pushed it to 350F to burn off crap) but at all temps, there is a large amount of smoke sneaking out around the door to the CC. The door is the best 'sealed' door I've done on a smoker, very tight fitting with ban-saw blade as seal overlap. The door fits as good as one can without being watertight.

I have the funny feeling the 90 degree turn in the chimney and the 2" dia are constricting to the chimney out-flow even though I used Feldon's Pit Calculator.

The chimney is offset from CC center-line with the idea that If I had to, I could add a second one next to it... like a double barrel shotgun. I could then dampen the exit(s) if it is too much out-flow.

Perhaps my CC lid isn't as sealed as I think. Should I do the high temp silicon bead around the door before adding a second chimney?

What do you think?
If the CC is constantly leaking smoke out of the door, is chimney flow the logical issue? Should I add a second 2"dia x 21.6" stack?

thanks for the comments!!
cheers.
What do you think?
If the CC is constantly leaking smoke out of the door, is chimney flow the logical issue? Should I add a second 2" stack?

thanks for the comments!!
cheers.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3246.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3246.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 155
chimney size

Are you saying all RF smokers should be just sticks? I was under the assumption that charcoal provided a more even and controllable heat(?) and the sticks are for flavor (smoke).

My big build, a 10k cu inch CC, might behave well as a stick burner, but the one I've just built is quite small. The FB is a small propane tank with a "coal sled" that slides in and out.

I did another test fire last night but a couple hours before, I used high temp silicone around the CC opening, Vaseline as a releasing agent against the lid. This had a profound effect! Very little smoke escaping from the CC now! I guess my lid was not as tight sealing as I thought:wink:.

That said, I still feel like the 2" dia 21.6" tall (as per Feldon's Pit Calculator) chimney is too restrictive to outflow...

Because this RF smoker is so small, I wonder if at some point, Feldon's calculator might be giving me improper data...related to chimney.
Hmmm
thoughts?
Anyone else have a small RF with a small dia chimney?

thanks!

I don't think the calculator is optimal for small cookers like this one.

As you noted, I think you are basically in the WSM size class so charcoal makes a lot more sense then it does for a bigger smoker. Personally, with a small smoker like that, I'd try to run sticks most of the time.

I suspect your 2" chamber opening is too small. If it were mine, I do a Texas-style slot at grate level with the straight piece of pipe in the top of it.

Vdrf0RZ.jpg

Thanks Sidpost.

I'm gonna fab up another chimney and turn it into a double barrel. I'm quite sure the 2" pipe, even though it's recommended length, is too little draft. I can install a second fairly easily and then dampen if it's too much up draft.

Nothing else to do other than play in the yard!
cheers.

Your welcome! :-D

Take a look at Johnson Smokers in Texas. He uses double smokestacks and gets very favorable comments.

https://johnsonsmokers.com/compact-patio/

I like the looks of the classic Texas-style pipe smokers and the grate level slot for draft works well and is easy to control with a simple damper like you see on my Evie Mae. In the end, there are many different ways to get a good result so have fun with the mods!

I think the calculators are out the window on something this small. Could be the 2" diameter stack is ok but it's way too tall at 21" /shrug. It's your time and your toy- play with it all you like. I'm interested in where it takes you. I don't know how many "usable" square inches of grate you can get out of it- the reverse flow might help you some- but I'd think the inches right next to the fire box would get too hot.

I had a couple of small tanks up at work for something like this - a freon sized tank and one about twice as big. Figured it'd be a good welding project but never did it. I sort of decided against it when I determined my miniwsm would hold more food and be a far better cooker...

There IS a 60 gallon air compressor tank that I have my eye on. I put my name on it for when it gets retired... that size would make a fine back yard cooker- not too big- not too small- just right. (for me anyway)

Results!

Well an update is due. I forgot to take a picture of the ribs I was so excited.

Draft out was the issue. I added 2nd 2" pipe, same 21" length... Now she blows properly, moving plenty of smoke out. At about 220* F the maple white smoke turns to sweet transparent torch.

And I like the look :wink:. The old double barrel. coals lasted 2.5 hours between refills. Big pork rips for 7 hours total. Seems really efficient compared to my huge one. This thing will get some use.

I'm tickled. I know what I'll be doing (while I sit about my house waiting for the virus to blow over...:confused:)

I'm super stoked! Now for legs, wheels, sandblast, and paint.

Thanks for the thoughts gang!
bigfork

Attachments

• Double Barrel Darrel.jpg
    Double Barrel Darrel.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 31
Back